• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘70 Satellite 318 to 440 torque box upgrade necessary?

LowlySatellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
My ‘70 satellite originally had a 318 with an automatic transmission and open rear diff. I’m going to upgrade to a 440 four-speed with a limited slip rear diff supported with new, upgraded rear leaf springs.

I do NOT plan on drag racing this car with big sticky slicks on a prepped track. But, I DO plan on hammering down occasionally on the street with some 275 wide rear tires.

Do I need to do anything to the stock torque box area bracing to prepare for the 440?

9F37BD2E-DCD4-45DD-8C35-D95C57F69236.jpeg

My 68 Coronet originally had a 318. It’s had a 440 and now a 528 hemi with a 4 speed. It hasn’t had a 318 for probably 25 plus years. I don’t have torque boxes added to my car. Mine is only a street car but I have flogged it. I’m not aware any issues so far.

I don’t see any reason why you need to. I believe hemi cars and convertibles were the only cars with factory torque “boxes”

My 68 Coronet originally had a 318. It’s had a 440 and now a 528 hemi with a 4 speed. It hasn’t had a 318 for probably 25 plus years. I don’t have torque boxes added to my car. Mine is only a street car but I have flogged it. I’m not aware any issues so far.
Great, thanks for the information.

I installed spring hanger reinforcement plates on my 440 4 speed car, you can get them at Hughes engines and Mancini Racing for about $25.00

Necessary? No. A good improvement? Yes.
What really helps are weld in subframe connectors tying the front to the back.

Necessary? No. A good improvement? Yes.
What really helps are weld in subframe connectors tying the front to the back.
Yes, I’m thinking of doing this for sure. It may not be necessary, but it seems to make good sense.

I don’t see any reason why you need to. I believe hemi cars and convertibles were the only cars with factory torque “boxes”
Not True. My 72 RR has them. It is a factory 440 car and many other 440 and 440-6 cars had them..

Chassis reinforcements do more than just reduce flex. They also reduce vibrations and noise even when you're not pushing the car hard. Smoother ride, less noise and a better driving experience.

I have the plates and plan on the boxes. Have SS springs 73 Duster BB auto 391s SG. Street/ strip and our track is set to reopen Mid May after 3 years. WooHoo..

Yes, I’m thinking of doing this for sure. It may not be necessary, but it seems to make good sense.
I would do torque boxes and subframe connectors both. Both. Torque boxes if you are only doing one and not the other.

Interesting. were they all equipped with them or were they a special order by the customer?
It's crazy how some got them and some didn't. Lazy or haphazard assembly line workers? 6 pack cars and convertibles should have them front and rear. 440 4 barrel cars may have both or just fronts or just rears. Like the A body cars, 340 4 speed car should have them on all 4 corners but many didn't. If they were on one end or the other they were usually on the fronts only. But not always.

It's crazy how some got them and some didn't. Lazy or haphazard assembly line workers? 6 pack cars and convertibles should have them front and rear. 440 4 barrel cars may have both or just fronts or just rears. Like the A body cars, 340 4 speed car should have them on all 4 corners but many didn't. If they were on one end or the other they were usually on the fronts only. But not always.
Don't know much about the A-bodies but the B-bodies were pretty consistent from what I have seen over the years.

Auto Transport Service
Back