• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘73 Taillight housing woes

Mike5

Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m sure this isn’t a new topic but since the tail light housings for the 73 Charger are near impossible to find, has anyone seen a how to article on repairs to the plastic housing with chunks of it missing? Would milling ABS plastic to shape and Epoxy/welding it in place work? Thanks in advance.

E7285D09-9E27-4E86-93C9-855D2A9E3DC5.jpeg

I melted a bit the platic between broken pieces with a wire solder, and also filled with epoxy and sand. Is not a warranty of won't broke anymore on same place (BTDT), since even fixed, that's a weak spot that won't never get the same strenght but it holds and can be finished like it never happened.

Another solution could be use the hot stapple fix. Maybe this will be some strength to the fix. This will require of course fill and sand to hide the stapple.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx67L85hVp8fVmdPwClM8SH0MbHlgW6Ctt8g&usqp=CAU.jpg

You can probably find YouTube videos about plastic repair. One method I've heard of but haven't done myself is to dissolve the same type of plastic in acetone and get it to a thick paste consistency and use that to mold a new section. Good luck!

A combination of the above and Plastex.net repair material.
:xscuseless:

I used JB weld to reattach a couple of mount points to the grill of my 73 Satellite.

Worked great and still going after 4 years.

One slipped a little during the curing time but still holding strong and can't be seen unless you shine a light through the grill.

Ebay is your friend. You will find some decent housings on there sometimes. Prices are going up, but they are there. I have repaired many. Plastic weld does work. Finding a good housing that needs little repair is the best bet.

I’ve seen newer challenger tail lights retrofitted and it actually don’t look too bad. I’m shocked no one has reproduce these yet. I wonder how hard they would be to copy with a 3-D printer?

Auto Transport Service
Back