• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Hemi Engine” Use on Fender Tag ?

EJ426

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
When did the use of the “Hemi Engine” fender tag start?

I've heard it it's been found on 66 cars.

But not many

Use meaning screwed to the inner fender? Not done at the plant. But you do see them there that folks installed. Back 40 years ago you never saw them on the inner fender or any holes for them. There were many survivor cars, unrestored projects and racecars and stripped shells around to look at.

They came in the car under the carpet on LF floor.

This engine tag was found there under the original rug on my 1-5-1967 SPD St Louis car. Can see a paint outline on the floorpan, and no paint on the underside of tag. No holes in fenderwell for it either.

Last edited:
So actually in 1966 the tags were printed as 426 Hemi Eng and in 1967 they said Hemi Engine . They could have been put anywhere in the car I’ve even heard of them being in headliners also
Mine were in the trunk , under the trunk liner . Some came with fine wires attached and some didn’t . I put one on my 67 fender years ago as most people have never seen them before .

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5046.jpeg

100_3018.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

I just think it’s cool the factory would even bother making these tags up for no one to really see . They knew it was a special car engine combo . I don’t think any other manufacturer went to this level

Assembly line workers would see it, to be sure that the heavy duty extras that went into a hemi car weren't overlooked.

There was a mauve 66 HemiCharger in Missouri that was used for 1 year and parked, the Bloomington Ghost.. Had about 8000 mi on it.
When they brought it back out and freshened up, pulled the gas tank. Underneath the trunk it had written " #1 hotrod" .
I heard this straight from the fellow that dropped the tank.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the guys who prepped the cars at the dealerships had a bunch of these in their toolboxes and then taken home

Auto Transport Service
Back