• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'05 Dakota making ugly noise

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
Thought I would post about strange noises from my ’05 Dakota in case anyone has encountered this. Dakota forum hasn’t been fruitful as has my shop looking it over. After returning from a 400 mile round trip, the noise has gotten much worse, ugly sounding. Started with a subtle ticking/rattling when coasting. Only time I’d hear it is when letting off the throttle.

The noise was more pronounced when I drove up and now after getting back, wow, it’s a rumbling noise, sounds like a shaft is loose. Truck is an AWD/4-low selection. Sound doesn’t change when applying the brakes or taking it out of gear. Trans shifts fine. No vibrations, steering issues. Shop had it on the rack and couldn’t find anything u-joints, calipers, loose anything. Wonder if something is skanked in the transfer case.

Glad I made it back, but sure doesn’t seem like I’ll drive it much more without being stuck on the road and parts on the highway.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

I wonder if those still had the double cardin joint on the front shaft like the older ones.
Regardless, try shaking the front propeller shaft at the t case

Might be the cv style joint. They were problematic

How many miles are on your front hub bearings?

Transfer cases fail , chain gets real sloppy, those double cardan joints have tore up a lot of trucks because nobody greases them. On newer rams there is sticker on the lip of the lh fender telling you to grease it .. the 2013-2018 .

I'd pull the fluid from the differentials and X-fer case. Look for metal shavings etc. Sounds like a bearing issue there IMO. I'd bet its in one of the differentials. If diff fluid looks good check out the transfer case.

.....or don't diagnose and just rebuild the whole F@<kin truck lol :lol:

How many miles are on your front hub bearings?
Bearings were replaced within the past 20-25k miles, first one then the other. Could hear when they were going bad, distinct growling noise. This noise is different. Last week, before taking the trip, fluid was drained/replaced thinking this might have been causing the noise. Truck just turned 94k.

Auto Transport Service
Back