• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/4" heater hose outlet on a 440??

crap. I thought I uploaded this pic yesterday. sucks gettin old lol

View attachment 534792
Yep, exactly where mine is. :)
I'm thinking now I'm going to use the 1/4" hole for the other hose and route it as normal. What's the worst that happens, slow flow through the heater core?

EPILOGUE:
I decided to use 1/4" NPT outlets adapted to the 5/8" hose fittings on both sides, just out of paranoia more than anything else:
heater hoses 2 11-5-17.jpg

I also installed a regulation universal type 5/8" hose quarter turn heater valve on one side as well. Although I didn't go so far as to do so, it is the type that will work with a push/pull cable (like a choke cable).
heater hoses 1 11-5-17.jpg

I also chose this time to drain out the straight distilled water with Water Wetter and put antifreeze in her (with a fresh bottle of WW). Rascal took over 3 gallons of pre-mix!
I let her get warm as she would (which wasn't very warm, really - the Griffin is doing the job!), then decided to turn on the valve in the heater hose and pray that the existing core wouldn't leak.
Knock wood, I didn't detect any leaks. :)

Further, I went ahead and tried to get the heater controls to work enough to blow warm air at my feet (first time I'd actually turned on the fan - not kidding).
With the car still running, I really didn't hear the fan until I ticked it up to the highest setting.
Not sure what that means....
The heat/defrost selector cable wasn't really working well either, but...
Anyways, somewhat warm air sort of came out the floor outlet eventually as a result of my finagling the controls. :)

It isn't as the factory intended, but it just might allow me to drive her a little in the winter to come.
Here's hoping.
I declare the experiment over! :usflag:

Ok, P.S.:
I couldn't help it. Fetched the inner fender bracket and the one that stands off the top alternator bolt and installed them:
brackets.jpg

Yeah, the alternator one is on there. It's just hiding under the radiator hose.

P.P.S.: Yes, I know those are '69 brackets. You'll notice the valve cover isn't the correct '68-only one, so this was the only choice.

Also by the way - I got both from the PartsMix folks out of Cosby, TN. They're only about an hour from here and their customer service is lightning fast, so I've had several good experiences with them.
I ordered these Sunday night. I got them today, regular post office delivery to the mailbox. :)

I also have used 'partsmix' and their stuff is good. Can't remember what it was, but have a sticker on side of toolbox.

Hey, that 1st engine bay pic looks eerily familiar.:D
Don't reference it as "correct", its just this old shadetree hack making it work.
Somebody that knows more than me can speak to the pump housing differences by year, but I'm thinking you'll have plenty of heat.
That was the #s matching engine, but now has a quite radical 383. The "new" engine came without hose nipples. Simple trip to local NAPA, and picked up 2 long ones- Chevy application IIRC worked. Neither were 1/4 though.

Blasphemy 'wacko', "chebbie nipples"!

Auto Transport Service
Back