• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100 amp alternator damage my gage?

68RT_MarkR

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. We just installed a Holly sniper on my 68 Charger. It has an electric cooling fan as well. (Id like to get rid if it!). Will be doing Vintage Air next month. I had my alternator rebuilt from 30(?) to 100 amp. I have not ran the 8ga wire from the alternator to the + battery terminal yet. Will this damage my in dash amp gage?

I finally took some newer photos. I'll post them later as when I joined I didn't......and boy did I hear about it! LOL. :)

You can bet something will happen esp. with old wiring, bulkheads, connections. You are spending money and time so you need to address the weak links.

First figure out how many amps you will need. A/c clutch electric fan and heater. Plus lights how much does your starter draw on fire up. Then you can figure how much you need. Alot of people overkill when not necessary.

It doesn’t matter the starter draw, the battery runs the starter not the alternator.

Hi all. We just installed a Holly sniper on my 68 Charger. It has an electric cooling fan as well. (Id like to get rid if it!). Will be doing Vintage Air next month. I had my alternator rebuilt from 30(?) to 100 amp. I have not ran the 8ga wire from the alternator to the + battery terminal yet. Will this damage my in dash amp gage?

I finally took some newer photos. I'll post them later as when I joined I didn't......and boy did I hear about it! LOL. :)
Get rid of amp gauge fire hazzard

I have the Sniper Stealth on my Hemi GTX. I’m running a 120 amp 1 wire alternator. The 3 wire one running through the bulkhead connector started melting wires. I installed the Dakota Digital RTX gauges after that and eliminated the amp gauge and wiring. No problems so far.

I did the Mad Files ammeter bypass. Then ran my 130 amp alternator directly to my battery. Battery to starter relay and bulkhead. No alternator to bulkhead. This way any accessories only draw from battery and no chance over over amping any wires. I'm sure you could leave the ammeter in service but I don't believe it will give a correct reading wired the way I have it. But it won't fry anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back