• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100 Amp Alternator

1toolguy

Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Between the electric fans, AC, CDI ignition and everything else I managed to fry a 65amp alternator (gotta love those lifetime warranties) so I'm stepping up to a 100amp unit. One of the field connections on the new alternator is a stud so obviously I'm going to have to change a terminal but, before I do anything I have two questions:
1) Does it matter which field wire I switch ends on?
2) Are there any other changes I'll need to make?

I suspect the answer two both questions is no but better safe that sorry.

You should upgrade the hot wire from alternator to a 4 gauge and add a fusible link to it.No doesn't matter which field wire.How many amps at idle is the new alternator?

I have no idea what the output is at idle but it's gotta be better than the old alternator. The hot wire runs directly to the battery right?

Mine goes to the bulkhead connector on the firewall but after that I dont know where it goes.

its easier on the bulkhead connector if you run the hot lead from the alt straight to the battery. less chance to melt the bulkhead that way

I can't remember offhand when Ma Mopar reworked the amp gauge so it was more resistant to high amps, but if your car is around the mid 70s or older, it might be wise to modify the gauge. The earlier Mopars could only handle a max of about 70 amps in the best of circumstances.

It's going in a 75 Cordoba which I understand had a 100 amp option, besides the amp gauge hasn't worked in a while (it'll soon be replaced by a volt gauge).

So you are saying that I can run that bulkhead wire straight to the battery and everything will still work the same as before? Wouldn't I have to reroute my volt meter gauge wires or will that still work the same?

It depends on how your volt guage is wired wheter you'll have to change it or not. they are a lot less sensative to wire size so you can hook them to any switched 12-volt source.

Okay so the 100 amp alternator has been on back order for a month now (I shoud get it any day though). I'm also trying to de-clutter the engine bay so I'm contemplating running tha charging wire to the starter and letting letting the battery cable do double duty. Anybody foresee any problems with that?

Auto Transport Service
Back