• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

10K hotrod/musclecar?

Pool Fixer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I realize prices are insane for the mainstream cars like charger, cuda, and their brand x equivalents but I see some chinks in the armor. Local listings for decent 2 door 60's/70's stuff asking low teens and you can probably pick one up for 10k that runs and drives.

66 belvedere driver

67 skylark

that's just craigslist-which blows nowadays... they aren't show cars but they are v8 2 door. relatively ok. At the least they'd get you in the game without laying out a fortune

What do you all think?

I would buy the Belvedere if I got to watch the seller smash that distributor and throw it in the garbage.

Both those look pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, there are still fools out there who think they have rusty gold but if you are willing to color outside the lines a little, I think you can still get in the hobby reasonably. pretty cool cars that aren't mainstream. Unfortunately a lot of brand x lol

-early 60's pontiac catalina or buick olds equivalent. Catalina looks like a gto did a cycle of roids
-70's vette (not a musclecar by definition but still pretty cool looking)
-mid 60-72 impala
-Torino fastback (build a mad max car out of it since austrailian falcons now go for big money)
-Wagons. some seem stupid but decent values pop up once in a while.
-early 60's galaxy 2 door
-mid 60's falcon
-mid 60's dart/valiant

My friend picked up this nice 67 Buick GS recently, for about the same money. There are deals out there still! Seek and you shall find grasshopper!

20231013_160526.jpg

Unless you HAVE TO HAVE a GTX, T/A Challenger, Daytona etc, go for the pedestrian version of the car. So what if the engine is missing etc. You were probably going to do it your way anyhow so why hack/modify and expensive car? I laugh and shake my head at people who buy the high dollar rides just to cut/modify it for drags, pro street, pro tour etc.

If you are willing to be flexible in your purchase instead of chasing down a widely-desired dream cars there have always been reasonable deals out there.

My dad was more or less a Ford guy so I have been looking at 66-67 Fairlanes, 65-67 Galaxies, and 68-71 Torinos and Falcons lately, mostly just out of curiosity and reliving family memories. There are lots of nice cars for very reasonable prices out there. I could sell a Charger driver and buy three or four Galaxie 2-door big block cars in equal condition.

I say go for it!

I'm not shopping.... not actively anyway. If the right one came up, and it would have to be a total steal- i'd go for it. My point was that covid really knocked the market on it's ***. As recently as a year ago, I didn't see anything remotely cool in that price range. Inventory seems to be up and prices on these lesser knowns has come down some.

If you are willing to be flexible in your purchase instead of chasing down a widely-desired dream cars there have always been reasonable deals out there.

My dad was more or less a Ford guy so I have been looking at 66-67 Fairlanes, 65-67 Galaxies, and 68-71 Torinos and Falcons lately, mostly just out of curiosity and reliving family memories. There are lots of nice cars for very reasonable prices out there. I could sell a Charger driver and buy three or four Galaxie 2-door big block cars in equal condition.

I say go for it!
Not interested in the four letter F word cars,and I would never sell a Charger to get one or six of them!

Not interested in the four letter F word cars,and I would never sell a Charger to get one or six of them!

...and I would never destroy a Charger by cutting off the roof. I guess we won't be walking a mile in each others shoes!

Well....If I wasn't playing with MOPARS as I was, I would be playing with Fords. No Chevvies but Ponchos, Buicks, and Olds for the GM Marquee. Not so limited as to one marquee because all of them produced some fine examples of Muscle Cars. So why limit yourself??? Just asking is all... :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Well....If I wasn't playing with MOPARS as I was, I would be playing with Fords. No Chevvies but Ponchos, Buicks, and Olds for the GM Marquee. Not so limited as to one marquee because all of them produced some fine examples of Muscle Cars. So why limit yourself??? Just asking is all... :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
go buy a GM and see how the other half lives... cheap available parts. I can't even imagine lol

...and I would never destroy a Charger by cutting off the roof. I guess we won't be walking a mile in each others shoes!
What about putting a Charger rear clip on a coronet convertible :popcorn:

The car I saw that I wanted BAD was a very reasonably priced Austin gasser. I would have bought it in a heartbeat,......

....If I didn't have way, WAY too many project cars now.

go buy a GM and see how the other half lives... cheap available parts. I can't even imagine lol
Generic Motors is what now??? CHEBBIES!!! They killed off all the other muscle Marquees that were of real muscle and now whatcha got??? CHEBBIES POS Junk!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Generic Motors is what now??? CHEBBIES!!! They killed off all the other muscle Marquees that were of real muscle and now whatcha got??? CHEBBIES POS Junk!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
Imagine restoring a 69 Camaro! You’d probably have all the parts in a week and they’d cost 10 cents lol!

Earthly Nova's aren't horrible. Can get close to a driver for 10K, or 12-14 and get a mildly modded one. They will need work though but parts are everywhere.

Auto Transport Service
Back