• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14"s gotta go

mlktst

Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 charger it has 2" lower front spindles 2" lower rear springs. I want to get new tires and wheels larger than 14. I am thinking 15's [i am 60] my son [he is 17] wants to go 17's what fits what looks good what do you like? Sorry i have no pics i am a computer dummy but son will update soon Thanks:hatwave:

I went with 15" on my 68 GTX years ago. Never looked back in fact as I was finishing up my recent restoration I made sure and go with the 15" cragars SS again. Personally I don't think those modern bigger wheels you see these days look normal on the old muscle cars. They look okay on the new retros - but not on the originals. Just my opinion - ya gotta go with what you like.

I was going to change the 14s off the front of my car, but I like the raked look and just went with 15s on the back. Problem is it's getting tougher and tougher to find 14s.

I only found 1 choice in 14's didn't like them very much. Even if we only go 15 the choices get better, Thanks for info and pics

I'm a big fan of 15s, but I grew up when nothing else was available so 15s "look" right to me. 15s make the car look like the era it came from. That being said, I have seen some tastefully executed 17" combo's that "work" for me, but most of those are based on having a 60s style 17" rim (torq thrust look-alikes). I also have a '69 Mustang that I put Vintage Wheel works 16s on and it's pulled off nicely (TTO look-alikes), fills the wheel well, but still has sidewall on the tire.

My '65 Coronet has 15s and in my opinion, nothing else really works on that vintage MOPAR. So much drag heritage on the '65 and earlier cars.

So my advice, if the project is a joint effort with your youngster, is maybe a compromise: explore 17s on it if they are torq-thrust style (or Cragar SS, Magnum 500, etc in 17"). Just a thought. Here's a good start, but there are certainly more products out there:

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/

Last edited:
Thanks grabber My son also liked the torq thrust 17's. I liked vintage wheel works stuff too

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks CRG1968 that site was helpful I actually liked the 68 with 17's

I would go with 17" black steels in the back and 15" up front. 17" gives you the ability to run wide modern sticky tires like Toyo r1r. 15's look better on the front and you can still get tires like the r1r in a 235 wide 15" tire. That's how I am going.

Auto Transport Service
Back