• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14x8 rallye wheels tire sizes ?

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
Once I get the interior done, I want to refinish (fall project) a pair of 14x8 rallye wheels and get some tires for them.

I have two questions;
1. What is the biggest tire that will fit on the rim ?
2. What is the widest that will fit a 71 charger ?

I know this has been discussed, but I didn't find it in a search.

Thanks

Where did you get 14x8?

I don't even know if they made 14x7.

I thought 14x6.5 was the widest from the factory.

That said, I have 215 70 14 on my 14x6.5.

I've had 235 60 14 but they bulged noticeably, although the tread contact was fine.

Actually the dimensions from the outside edge is 10”

I believe you're supposed to measure from inside the bead surface.

Yes, but that is difficult with tires still on. I will clean them up a bit and look for numbers on them tomorrow.

Last edited:
In case you haven't heard 14" tires have been going away for years... The widest Tire Rack lists is 245/60-14

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 4.36.40 PM.png

The widest Summit lists is a 265 which unfortunately is a 50 series so it's only 24.5" tall... And over $300 each...

Coker Tire 548050 Coker BFGoodrich Silvertown Radial Tires | Summit Racing

Good Luck, your gonna need it...

Agree 245/60 is really the only option.

Oh, but you also asked ". What is the widest that will fit a 71 charger ?" I have a friend who runs a 325/50-15 on the rear of his 71 Charger.... And there is still room for more...

You really need to know the backspace to know what will fit your car..... but I'm pretty sure the biggest 14" tire you can find, will fit.
If it were me, I would either get the 26x9.5x14 Hoosier quick time pro, ( you probably wouldn't want that, they are basically a treaded bias drag slick), or M&H P235/60x14. Neither is cheap.

I found a lot of 245/60-14 tires for sale. About $300 for a pair. Mastercraft, Vitour, BFG, etc.

I will check backspace on wheels tomorrow.

Thanks for the awesome input Guys !

Had a box nova with radiused wheelwells,and M50x14 tires on a 14x10 wheel. Those days, and those tires, are long,LONG gone!

What size tires are on them now?

Again, the factory never made 14x8.

Unless someone welded new hoops on OEM centers, or they are aftermarket.

Even if they were 14x7 (again, I don't think even those were made), I doubt they would measure 8" on the outside.

Unless that are ford wheels. ford did make 14x7 Magnum 500 style wheels.

71-74 Charger rear wells are VERY generous.

My 72 had 15x8 Keystones with 265 50 15. They filled the well, but wider would have fit easy.

That car had 245 60 14 on 14x7 on the front!

That backspace is no more than 1/2" away from ideal (4 1/2 seems to work well in most places), and might be a problem on a 66/67 B-body, but the biggest 14" tire you can find should fit fine on a 71 charger.

the 235/60-14's that were on it were much too narrow for the rim. The last pic shows it on the car with the 235's. I checked the part number on the rim , but that is for a 14x5.5 rim....these are a lot wider than 5.5

IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg

Last edited:
Those have definitely been "re-hooped".

...and they look wider than 8" unless there's virtually no back spacing.

Deep dish.

I bet a 245 would be decent.

Back spacing is 4" and it is 5.5" from center to front (front spacing ?). Yeah they are pretty wide. Did you notice how narrow they were when still installed with 235's ? The tread ended about 1.5 inches inside the edge of the rim.

As far as re-hooped, there is a strip about 3.5 inches wide on the inside. Custy custom.

Auto Transport Service
Back