• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18 inch magnum 500 style wheels. on 62 Fury wagon

rustytoolss

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
I've trying to decide on which to buy...American Racing 17x8 Mono (magnum 500) wheels...or REV 18x8 magnum wheels. I know the purist have already stopped reading this. I think I will be getting the 17" wheels, but I'm trying to be open minded on the 18" wheels...sure could use some picture of some 18" magnum style wheels on some mopars. Here's a photo of the wagon with some 18's just to get an idea. I don't want this stye wheel.
P1040827.JPG

Well, consider me a "purist" in that I love super original NOM cars. My RR is "correct", however my Scamp is far from.
All that being said, I think the right 17 or even 18" rim on an old Mopar can look really good. It's not a size I would personally choose, but I do think they look good. I've considered the 17" Rallye wheel for my A Body.

Saw a beautiful black 69 bee with 18"magnums yesterday at a car show, very similar to the maroon one above. Looked great, but on a 62 wagon? I don't think I would....
(As an aside, and fellow 62 owner, we're I to go to big wheels, I would get either gray tt2's or 200s [daisies】in 17s, seven on the front, 8 in the rear)

Last edited:
Saw a beautiful black 69 bee with 18"magnums yesterday at a car show, very similar too the maroon one above. Looked great, but on a 62 wagon? I don't think I would....
I get it. I'm afraid the 18's will be just to large. But trying to be open minded about the more modern look.

Whatever size I go with, they will have over 5" of sidewall (27.6-28.1 Dia tire). None of those rubberband sidewall tires for me.

I get it. I'm afraid the 18's will be just to large. But trying to be open minded about the more modern look.
My only quarrel with the 18s is that the tires that are typical are very short sidewall, leaving the giant 62 wheelwell openings looking funny.
The seventeens, with a more suv style tire with some sidewall height looks better to me.
I have 255/50x17s on a 57 Chevy sedan delivery that look good imo, cause they are 27+ inches tall and actually have some sidewall.....
Edit: your post #11 beat me to it, Rusty. lol.

Yep, to each their own. MO, certain size larger wheels detract from the look of an old ride; enough to turn me off – but to the delight of others. On the other hand, I sure like tad larger dia wheel compared to the 14” as common back when and 15” usually on larger rides. Went with 15” on my early B, being mid-size. IF I had a do-over, I’d definitely go with 16” and couldn’t see any larger for it, just MO. On full size like RR/Chargers, a 17 or or maybe 18” looks nice.

Going appreciably larger, I wouldn’t stick with a larger sidewall – gets to looking truck-like, again MO, and clearance could be trouble. As posted, yep, ALL what ya want to float your boat.

Polished aluminum torque thrust 2’s would be a cool wheel. 17’s

Yep, to each their own. MO, certain size larger wheels detract from the look of an old ride; enough to turn me off – but to the delight of others. On the other hand, I sure like tad larger dia wheel compared to the 14” as common back when and 15” usually on larger rides. Went with 15” on my early B, being mid-size. IF I had a do-over, I’d definitely go with 16” and couldn’t see any larger for it, just MO. On full size like RR/Chargers, a 17 or or maybe 18” looks nice.

Going appreciably larger, I wouldn’t stick with a larger sidewall – gets to looking truck-like, again MO, and clearance could be trouble. As posted, yep, ALL what ya want to float your boat.
I would avoid 16s. I have had 16s on a fox, and currently have 16s on a Z28. Tire selection sucks.

Polished aluminum torque thrust 2’s would be a cool wheel. 17’s
I have some Weld Pro Stars that need to be polished if you want to stop over and make them shine. As for me the days of polishing aluminum wheels is over. I want something with a clearcoat..less labor intensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back