• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18x10 rear wheels

Cory M

Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
Hey all... So, I'm working on a 72 plymouth satellite. I want to run 18x10 rear wheels with 5.5" backspacing, with 275/45/r18 tires, 12.19 wilwood disc brakes and a Strange 60 rearend. My question...does anybody know the overall housing measurement I'd need for the Strange S-60? Anybody running 18x10s with 5.5" backspacing? Any insight is appreciated.

That backspacing is a bit deep from first glance. I have 18 x 10s in this car and the backspacing is 4 3/4" with about 1 1/4" to the leaf spring using a 295-45 tire.

295 45.jpg

Folsom 6 (2).JPG

I know that the 71+ B is much different but to me, those cars always look like the tires are tucked in way too far. I'd want to go for as little backspacing as possible to push the tires out to the edge of the wheel openings for a much better look.
Some don't mind the tires pushed way in and that is fine. To me, the cars look more aggressive with a wide stance.

Note the way the rear tire is tucked in far:

Charger 600.jpg

Charger NC 4.jpg

Kern...I really like the look of yours! What rearend are running? Stock or any modifications to accommodate your wheels?

The axle is a bit narrower than stock. The 68-70 B axle is about 5/8" wider than the 66-67 B housing that is in the car now.
Wheels and tires fit and clear but with the lowered ride height, I did modify the outer wheel houses to correct what I feel is a factory flaw.

Increasing rear tire clearance in a '70 Charger.

In summary, these cars had a weird ridge in the outer wheel tub that unfortunately reduced tire clearance.

GWT 37.JPG

Growth Ring (2)_LI.jpg

In my other car that I call "Jigsaw", I cut through the tub at the ridge and just inverted the metal and rewelded it. I probably gained about 2" of upward travel with that. For my red car here, I cut part of the wheel tub away and welded in a patch to cover the hole. This gave me maybe 3" of clearance. It really matters when you have the tires pushed out wide. A tall tire on a stock rim would have never made contact.

Jigsaw LWT 7.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all... So, I'm working on a 72 plymouth satellite. I want to run 18x10 rear wheels with 5.5" backspacing, with 275/45/r18 tires, 12.19 wilwood disc brakes and a Strange 60 rearend. My question...does anybody know the overall housing measurement I'd need for the Strange S-60? Anybody running 18x10s with 5.5" backspacing? Any insight is appreciated.
Maybe not what you want to hear, but measuring is the only way to get it. These cars are known for being 'quirky' and not necessarily consistent from car to car and like Kern showed the fenderwells had different weird humps over the years. On some, the leaf springs are the first obstacle. Use some long straightedges, strings pulled tight, whatever ya gotta do...mock things up as best you can. It'll be worth the effort!

In many cases, people are buying wheels with price high on the list.
I can understand that but that means buying the style you may LOVE with a backspace number that is nowhere near ideal.
In reality, the front is most critical since the wheels turn and there are more obstacles to work around.
The rear wheels still matter a huge amount though. The look of the car is so greatly determined by the stance. The placement and and offset/backspacing of the wheels determines how aggressive the car looks.

0 Ont 22.jpg
0 Ont 23.jpg

The Darts here are a clear example of that.

While I can appreciate this car for being stock, the car looks like an elephant with tiny feet.

0 Ont 40.jpg

In many cases, people are buying wheels with price high on the list.
I can understand that but that means buying the style you may LOVE with a backspace number that is nowhere near ideal.
In reality, the front is most critical since the wheels turn and there are more obstacles to work around.
The rear wheels still matter a huge amount though. The look of the car is so greatly determined by the stance. The placement and and offset/backspacing of the wheels determines how aggressive the car looks.

View attachment 1485863View attachment 1485864

The Darts here are a clear example of that.

While I can appreciate this car for being stock, the car looks like an elephant with tiny feet.

View attachment 1485866
Exactly... So the wheels I have picked out are...

Screenshot_20230616-092135_Chrome.jpg

I meant to also state that the limited backspacing/offset of cheaper wheels means a compromise. The more expensive companies offer custom backspacing to meet the various needs of their customers but you will pay more.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that getting exactly what I want always means paying more.

Also 18” wheels with a 45 or 50 series greatly diminish the ride. Not to mention clearance. Especially if your running a 7 qt. Oil pan..

Diminish the ride?

1 huhuhu.jpg

That is more of a matter of the suspension. Newer cars run low profile tires and still ride pretty good.
Mine actually rides quite well. If I wanted a velvet ride, I'd drive a Fifth Avenue or a Cordoba.

Easy big fella, what’s a fifthavenue or a Cordoba? Can’t say I remember those. Didn’t one have Corinthian leather? If you think low profile tires don’t diminish the ride from a 70 series, we can end this discussion at this point. Thanks

First off, I suspect that you're older than I am so you should remember the same cars that I do and more.
Secondly, I do agree that ride quality does drop off a bit as the sidewall gets shorter but it doesn't mean that a 35-40-45-50 series tire is completely responsible for the ride. Tires are just one part of it all.

I don’t believe that I said anything about it being the sole reason for ride . I also agree with you that suspension is huge. I merely stated you would get a ride deminish by using 45/50 series tires vs 60/70 series.

Auto Transport Service
Back