• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18x9 on front

Tzclark

Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
I am currently running all the qa1 goodies, with magnum drop spindles and haven't decided if I am going to delete the torsion bars..

Is there going to be a fitment issue with a wide front?

From talking with Tzclark by wide he is thinking 285's up front. This seems to me like there would be a fitments issue.

Does anybody know anything too about backspacing with a big dish?

i got the RMS on the front of my 70 i got a 18x8.5 with a 245/45/18 with 4.5 backspacing and it is getting tight. bill at rms said i could only go 5 inch backspacing for clearance issues. don't know if this helps you out or not.

Hmmm.... STOCK based OEM suspension with HD upgrades here, 70 Charger with 18x9s. 275-40-18 Nitto tire Wheel has 4 3/4" BS. The only point of contact is the tires rub the frame rail at full lock.
Why run a narrower tire? You want the car to handle well in the corners, right?

I agree on the need for a big front tire to make these thing's handle Kern Dog I just was not sure how much tolerance there was given it's not something you see. I was talking to Mike Musto last week and that's what his stance was on the subject of making a B Body handle is you would need at least a 295 out front and 315's out back to do a really good job and it's just not possible

Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up pulling the trigger on 18x8 for the front. I talked to Clint at magnum and he said I would have to roll my fenders and notch my frame. I feel that 255 will be sufficient.

Thinking I will black out the wheel minus the brushed area on spokes. But considering I don't have a color yet I am just freestyling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 351
I'm running a 255/45r18 on an 18x9" wheel. Has around 1/2" of clearance at full lock, with 6.3" backspacing. Stock torsion bars and control arms. Need to have a really nice brake package to take advantage of that 5-spoke design.

Yes bonspeed

Bonspeed 18x8" w 255/45/18 on Magnum force dropped spindles and Firm Feel "goodies". To me, on my car, there's almost TOO MUCH room in there. I may lower the front end a bit more to get more of the look of the back wheels.

It does rub on the inside at full lock when squeezing my car into the garage and trying to get as far from my wife's car as possible, but that's the only time I'm ever near full lock.

IMG_2849.jpg

Grab, do you by chance know how far your rockers are off the dirt? I want to get my car low, just waiting on a boat load of parts. The wait is killing me.

Grab, do you by chance know how far your rockers are off the dirt? I want to get my car low, just waiting on a boat load of parts. The wait is killing me.

The bottom of the pinch rail at the very front (just in front of the two bolts which hold on the front fender - just behind the front tire) is 7 1/2".

The bottom of the pinch rail at the very back (just in front of the rear tire) is 8 7/16".

It's pretty low by any normal car standard. The car looks just slightly raked, but not like it did with my big 15" wheels and BFG radials. That was more of what I'd call the Hot Rod look. I'd say (hope) this is more of the road-race/NASCAR/Autocross look - modified for the fact that I need to get in and out of my driveway!

I think to go any lower you really have to go with a coil-over front end like Reilly Motorsports. I'd love to if I had the $5,000, and another $3,000 for a 4 link to match in the back. I have a cars-and-coffee-friend who owns the "20 Screws" car (a '70 RR that's been in the magazines- he's a very nice guy BTW) and he's running huge tires with RMS suspension and tubbed rear wheel wells. That car is REALLY wide and low, but it takes cubic dollars to get there.

20 Screws.jpg

image.jpg. 18 X 8.5 245/45 up front. No rubbing, can't recall the BS. 20 X 10 on rear. image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Ya, have you lowered it much with the torsion bars or is that mostly the spindles?

In my case it's pretty much just the spindles. I have stiff Firm Feel torsion bars so I could do a little there (maybe an inch?), but the stock suspension doesn't allow you to adjust too much w the torsion bars without messing up the steering geometry and the camber.

It's an interesting question how much lower my car is than stock. I don't real know but I'd like to. Maybe someone will post up the stock measurements to the pinch rail front and rear.

That's a pretty car Malex!

Both of your cars a nice! Love the hemi Max.

I have all qa1 front products, I want to go low for the front so I might need to do some serious figuring. I would ideally like to be 4" off the pinch rails.

18x9
6.3" +30MM offset
18x10
6.3" +20MM offset

Both may require a small spacer, I used .2" front and .375" rear. Perfect spacing front to back on my B-Body.

Considering B Bodies are zero offset that is high

Typical is half the overall rim width (add 1/2" for the lip) So 18 X 8 with 4.5" and 19 X 10 with 5.5" because some people go half the sited width I split the difference and went 4.25" and 5.25"

Auto Transport Service
Back