• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1951 newyorker/windsor what motor?

74sundance

Local time
10:27 AM
Reaction score
Hey guy's I found a 1951 Newyorker/windsor Ambulance with a 331 Hemi this car is running and driving.Did this windsor car come with a 331??? I think the windsor's only came with a 6,their were 2 higher model Newyorker's that came standard with the Hemi's rite? Sorry I don't have a vin or tag number.

According to The Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990, 1951 Windsor's came with a 250.6 CID 6 cyl engine. A 1951 Saratoga which was a Windsor chassis could be had with the 331 but they weren't available as an ambulance.
Total production of 1951 Windsor ambulances was believed to be only 153 units.

This book is out of production and is a valuable tool. It was published by Krause with author John Lee. A friend of mine found one on Amazon and it had to come from the United Kingdom.

In a Ambulance application anything could be possible. I'd try running your numbers.
I would doubt that anyone has changed out what was in it origanally. If the engine's numbers are that of a 331 it should be correct providing this car hasn't been tinkered with. Cool Find !!!

If it is original, that would make it pretty rare, wouldn't it? One of 153 ambulances and with a Hemi?

Did a little "Googling" and Wikipedia had an article about Chrysler's first V8 coming out in 1951 and was called the "Fire Power" that was a Hemi. So it wouldn't be uncomon to have this engine in your ambulance:)

Did a little "Googling" and Wikipedia had an article about Chrysler's first V8 coming out in 1951 and was called the "Fire Power" that was a Hemi. So it wouldn't be uncomon to have this engine in your ambulance:)

I found some cool info on the 331 but nothing on the car lol..I did find a few cool pic's.Thank's for the help guy's! If you come across any more info pass it on :)
1951-Hemi-331.jpg

1951-Hemi-331.jpg

According to The Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990, 1951 Windsor's came with a 250.6 CID 6 cyl engine. A 1951 Saratoga which was a Windsor chassis could be had with the 331 but they weren't available as an ambulance.
Total production of 1951 Windsor ambulances was believed to be only 153 units.

This book is out of production and is a valuable tool. It was published by Krause with author John Lee. A friend of mine found one on Amazon and it had to come from the United Kingdom.

Very nice info,I never would have found that,Thank's :)

Auto Transport Service
Back