• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Fury progress

djohn658

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
It's been cold for the last few months up here in MI. Between the weather, work, work, work, and a sick wife, I haven't had much time or motivation to do anything on the old Fury. But over the last couple of days I picked up a few parts, and what do you know, I'm one step closer!
I finally decided to see if the old motor will even run.
After soaking the cylinders in a mix of ATF and Marvelous Mystery Oil for a couple of months, I threw a breaker bar on the engine, and it was FREE!
So I pulled the carb off, cleaned it in the house with apple cider vinegar, and reassembled (haven't rebuilt yet, just wanted to get everything free).
I replaced the plugs and wires (the wires fell apart removing the plugs for the soak).
I still don't have a key for the car, so I went about spinning the engine over old school. Got the jumper button hooked up, ran juice to the coil, and primed the carb (it's not even connected to the fuel pump)
Spun it over and ---nothing.
Popped the cap, cleaned the cap, rotor and points- spun it over and---- Still nothing..
OK.. Replaced the coil, spun it over, and it RAN for a COUPLE OF SECONDS! WOOHOO! I'm on my way!

Sounds great!
Wow, a testament to the "Old School" auto workers who made "sound cars" during the 60s.
Great news.
Is it a 318? 361?
Anyway, a pic or two would be sweet!
Let us see that magical 1962 Plymouth fury!

Please?

"super-bee_ski"

It's a 318 Poly 2Bbl. Auto. Black convert. with red interior. Power steering, brakes, bench seat, windows, top. Has the AM radio and the pump operated windshield washer. There's a youtube video up of me bringing it home.. There will be more videos, when I actually get into the thing.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8aSoPBbawQ

moparker- This is a 1 owner car from Toledo Ohio. My wife's uncle bought it new in 62. Sold it to my father in law in 70 (who never titled it). Pops stored it away and didn't touch it. Both Pops and his brother have passed away. Mom in law gave it to me. It had been parked in that old garage since 70.

62 Plymouth "B" is my favorite year. Back in the late 60's my brother had one.Sport Fury convertible with a 361 and dealer installed 2-4's. I'm jealous !.

OK guys, got a question.. Since the temps are climbing, it looks like I can finally start working on my baby. I am starting to collect some parts. Does anyone know what the correct hubcaps were for the 62 Fury? I've been looking at pics, but they have all had different hubcaps (this one had some rusted out JC Whitney baby moons on it). I'm hoping the ones I found in the garage are it, but I'm not sure. Anyone got a pic of the correct cap?

OK guys, got a question.. Since the temps are climbing, it looks like I can finally start working on my baby. I am starting to collect some parts. Does anyone know what the correct hubcaps were for the 62 Fury? I've been looking at pics, but they have all had different hubcaps (this one had some rusted out JC Whitney baby moons on it). I'm hoping the ones I found in the garage are it, but I'm not sure. Anyone got a pic of the correct cap?

62 Fury wheel covers are similar to 63's except 62 had the Plymouth name embossed around the outside. 62 Sport Fury were the same as 63 Sport Fury.

I went thru the hubcaps that I found in the garage.. I have 3 of the 62 hubcaps. Anyone have a 4th? I have some other early mopar caps I could trade, or send a check...... I'll get some pics posted shortly of what I have...

That's a lovely car and a nice family heirloom too boot.
I'm subscribed to your videos ...so hopefully you can pump out a few regularly?

The seat needs to be unbolted from under the car.The power seat is run off a motor like the wiper motor.it has 3 cables that run inside tubes .these need to be cleaned out and re lubed .The motor to gearbox drive has a hard rubber connection.

Looks like it just needs a total clean and lube.try looking for a build sheet .Maybe when you open the trunk it will be in the rear seat ;)
When you pull the top back ,check the rubber seal to windscreen retainer(steel).it holds the rubber seal.
They tend to be rusted out as they are in a vulnerable position.
Keep going!

Auto Transport Service
Back