• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963-65 vs 1966-up b-body k-member question

67belvodere

Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey there
I've been searching this question for quite a bit and haven't been able to confirm it. Not sure if this is the right place to post it but I've exhausted most of my search areas...

I've seen that pre-65 b-bodies with a newer k-member will locate the engine rearwards and up 1.5" or so and there is much advice around that(for and against).

What I haven't seen is can you use a 1963-5 member in a 1966-up b-body? Would that place the motor forwards the same distance? Can it/should it be done? Or should I find a similar year v8 k-member for my '67 Belvedere?

Thanks

Hey there
I've been searching this question for quite a bit and haven't been able to confirm it. Not sure if this is the right place to post it but I've exhausted most of my search areas...

I've seen that pre-65 b-bodies with a newer k-member will locate the engine rearwards and up 1.5" or so and there is much advice around that(for and against).

What I haven't seen is can you use a 1963-5 member in a 1966-up b-body? Would that place the motor forwards the same distance? Can it/should it be done? Or should I find a similar year v8 k-member for my '67 Belvedere?

Thanks
It would stand to reason That if you used the early one it would move the engine forward It would lead to a lot of changing drive shaft length, fan space, steering column, and linkages! I've never heard of any one doing that change! Just my opinion! Why would you want to do that?

Welcome! Yes it will move the engine forward. Why on earth would you want to do that? Way to many problems.

You will move the weight to far forward, no room for radiator and fan. Longer driveshaft, alter the trans xmember, shift linkage. Headers won’t fit if you want those.

Use a 66-70 k member and all will line up. Different idler arm for 66-67, then 68-70. But you can buy either one new.

Damn, if you were closer I'd trade you a 66 for the earlier K.

Welcome! Yes it will move the engine forward. Why on earth would you want to do that? Way to many problems.

You will move the weight to far forward, no room for radiator and fan. Longer driveshaft, alter the trans xmember, shift linkage. Headers won’t fit if you want those.

Use a 66-70 k member and all will line up. Different idler arm for 66-67, then 68-70. But you can buy either one new.
That makes total sense, I get not wanting to move it forward for sure. I'll keep scrounging for the right K-member.

Hey there

Thanks

B body K frames shouldn't be all that hard to find. I have a '67 V8 K frame sitting on my shelf that I have no plans for using. Shipping is expensive on them so you might want to find one closer to home but they are available. In this picture the one on the left is an early B body frame while the one on the right should be the '67 K frame that I have. This picture is old and I haven't opened the box for a few years but I think this is the correct one.
DSC_6015 (Large).JPG

B body K frames shouldn't be all that hard to find. I have a '67 V8 K frame sitting on my shelf that I have no plans for using. Shipping is expensive on them so you might want to find one closer to home but they are available. In this picture the one on the left is an early B body frame while the one on the right should be the '67 K frame that I have. This picture is old and I haven't opened the box for a few years but I think this is the correct one.
View attachment 949893
Looking at the two, the engine mounts on the teal k-frame appear to be further forward. This is a great side-by-side photo that helps clarify a lot. Thanks again!

Looking at the two, the engine mounts on the teal k-frame appear to be further forward. This is a great side-by-side photo that helps clarify a lot. Thanks again!

Yes, the teal K frame is from a 1965 B body car with a V8 engine. That is a cherry K frame, one of the nicest I've ever seen. Must have come out of a grandma car that never left the garage. I don't really need it but I keep it around since I know that once I sell it I'll never see another one that nice.

Is there something wrong with the current K? Slant 6 car originally maybe?

Should be no problem finding a 66up K here in the Calgary area. I'll ask around if anyone I know has one available.

Also there's the Northern Mopars club classifieds https://mopars.org/classifieds or post a wanted ad on Kijiji.

Auto Transport Service
Back