• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 dodge hood scoops.

Gunner1

Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
My 63 Polara has a 440 with a RPM intake. The PO had a. Wing nut holding the air cleaner on which dimpled the hood. I want to add a spacer under the carb for a small nitrous hit.
And cold air. Problem is all the accepted scoops are for cross rams. I see nothing for single carbs our tunnel rams. I don’t want to put on something that will kill resale because it’s not the accepted scoop.

The Hemi scoop would look good. Max Wedge has the dip in the middle. Crossram doesn't matter it's where you put the hole. Don't forget engine is offset so a small scoop might not be centered.:lol:

I was very fortunate to find a same color, similar patina, 64 hood for my car, and put a MW scoop on it.

Here's one on a '64. It would look okay imo.
1964-dodge-polara-426-max-wedge-4-speed-recent-restoration-1.jpg

1964-dodge-polara-426-max-wedge-4-speed-recent-restoration-2.jpg

1964-dodge-polara-426-max-wedge-4-speed-recent-restoration-4.jpg

I'll say it again...This guy is hard to keep up with!

Then max wedge scoop it is.
Didn't hit disagree button but do. Don't have full info but if an air cleaner top could hit scoop because of the dip in the center of Max Wedge scoop. OP could answer that. Do like the look of it.

Post # 5 is Hemi scoop. I think Sled City makes Max Wedge scoops in different heights. Likely + 1" or + 2" would be enough.

Didn't hit disagree button but do. Don't have full info but if an air cleaner top could hit scoop because of the dip in the center of Max Wedge scoop. OP could answer that. Do like the look of it.
Right now i'm using a bolt to hold the air cleaner in place. It just barely clears. A 1 to 2 inch spacer will mean I need about 1.5 inches of clearance so I'm guessing a 2 inch might work.

Right now i'm using a bolt to hold the air cleaner in place. It just barely clears. A 1 to 2 inch spacer will mean I need about 1.5 inches of clearance so I'm guessing a 2 inch might work.
From what your saying a Hemi standard height scoop post #5 won't be enough. Maybe a whole fiber glass hood with a tall scoop and save your steel hood.

Space the K frame down, Then the engine will set lower.
Doug

Are you using a drop base air filter unit? I had one on my 65 w/440, NOS cheater plate, old school torker intake with an 850 dp Holley. Loads of clearance. Of course doesn't help with the already installed dimple on your hood.

IMG_1867.jpeg

If a 63 gets a scoop, it has to be the 63 max scoop. Nothing else will look right, and will probably hurt value.
But PLEASE, consider a hinged glass hood with a scoop, before cutting a hole in a nice steel hood. I've done it, and wish I could un-do it every day. Store the steel hood in the attic or wherever.
Also, the drop base recommendation is a good one. The repop L88 base is a very good one for a Holley, formed around the holley cathedral bowls.

If a 63 gets a scoop, it has to be the 63 max scoop. Nothing else will look right, and will probably hurt value.
But PLEASE, consider a hinged glass hood with a scoop, before cutting a hole in a nice steel hood. I've done it, and wish I could un-do it every day. Store the steel hood in the attic or wherever.
Also, the drop base recommendation is a good one. The repop L88 base is a very good one for a Holley, formed around the holley cathedral bowls.
Problem is I have no place to store things. Thats why I gave away my good heads. I'm not so sure of my hoods surface under the paint. It is looking more and more like there was surface rust spots that were sanded and painted over. Lots and lots of spots. I'm guessing if I go for a MW Scoop then it will go on the factory hood. But if I go to something different then it will be on a fiberglass hood.

Are you using a drop base air filter unit? I had one on my 65 w/440, NOS cheater plate, old school torker intake with an 850 dp Holley. Loads of clearance. Of course doesn't help with the already installed dimple on your hood.

View attachment 1380659
Nope its a flat base. I was hoping to go to a taller filter so I dont have to start moving things. I know a drop base will work just fine I just like a flat one better.

3D34F8C2-20B7-41F8-A5C4-DB13980CF26E.jpeg

Larry at sled city is a really good source for early Bs. He's the only one I know, that has stuff for my 62. I would love to have his bumpers and hood/trunk.
There is also Unlimited products in Hesperia. They had a bad reputation on line, but had a change in ownership,and their stuff is supposed to be much better.
Since you are in socal, you could maybe pick up a hood, if they have one, and avoid shipping, and possible shipping damage. That's what I would do, since I'm closer than you, but unlimited has nothing for my cars that I need just now.
(My fault, I have odd stuff. Meaning not Chevy or ford)

Looks like unlimited doesnt have 63 dodge hoods, but does have 63 plymouth (?).
The do have 63 maxwedge scoop for $50, a SC-106, and a taller version of the same scoop, SC-606-3. (Didn't note what that one cost.)

Auto Transport Service
Back