• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 PLYMOUTH 4 SPEED DASH PICTURE

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
My 63 is a push button auto. Just curious what the dash looks like for 4 speed cars. Obviously the buttons have to disappear, whole new dash or just cover for the holes?? Picture if you have one please.

My old '63 Savoy wagon Maxie clone I built - same cluster face as 3-speed column-shift cars, which mine was before the RB/4-speed swap.
Absolutely blank at the pushbutton area. Also had a plastic cover where the Park lever would go on an AT car, to the left of the cluster.

Cluster.jpg

Thank you. Nice and clean.
My dream would be to convert my car to a 5/6 speed TKx type trans. A new dash as such would be the perfect finishing touch.

Button deleted bezels are a rare find; I have three of the bezels; but with the buttons. Installed a '62 bezel in my '63 liking that dash more than the 'ranch' cluster. Yeah, to each their own.

You'll need one like topside's. Three speed standard transmission. Three on the column, maybe three on the floor was available. No four speeds until 1964.

You'll need one like topside's. Three speed standard transmission. Three on the column, maybe three on the floor was available. No four speeds until 1964.
Just out of curiosity again, how about sport fury with console auto shifter? Did they make such a thing in 63?

I have seen the 64 with console shifters but didn't know if 63 had it. So the only 63 without the pushbuttons are the 3 speed cars

Thank you. Nice and clean.
My dream would be to convert my car to a 5/6 speed TKx type trans. A new dash as such would be the perfect finishing touch.
Mike, not to be a Dream Killer, but I spoke with the Tremec Team at the Autorama in Detroit, earlier this year, seeking info on a similar set up for my '65. They do not currently offer a 5/6 "TKx" for any mid '60s Mopars, and said "No real future plans" to offer them. They said it may be possible to use a later model year, but would take extensive floor tunnel work, to make it fit properly. Maybe someone can Add some info on this topic that has attempted, and succeeded the process ?

I put a TKO 5 speed in a 65 Belvedere. Had to shave a few lugs off the trans case to clear the floor.
Other than that it fit fine. Not sure of a TKX.

I have a question about the no 4 speed comment. I have a 63 Belvedere that codes out to 361, 4 speed on the fender tag

Four speed was available in 63, a weakass BW t-10. Mopar figured out it was too weak for a big block mopar, and brought out the CHRYSLER four speed 833 in 64.
(Actually, a four speed was available even earlier (1960?) in a Chrysler 300, a french pont a mouson (spelling?). Translated it means "utter garbage")

Four speed was available in 63, a weakass BW t-10. Mopar figured out it was too weak for a big block mopar, and brought out the CHRYSLER four speed 833 in 64.
(Actually, a four speed was available even earlier (1960?) in a Chrysler 300, a french pont a mouson (spelling?). Translated it means "utter garbage

(Actually, a four speed was available even earlier (1960?) in a Chrysler 300, a french pont a mouson (spelling?). Translated it means "utter garbage")
Thanks

Not true. In 62 and 63 youcould get a 4-speed transmission but it was a T-10 transmission manufactured by Borg-Warner and not New Process Gear (Mopar).

Edited, by the time that I posted this I see that this was addressed minutes before I poste.

@bama69, no offense meant to your 63, I probably shouldn't have phrased my answer that way, but....
Even Ford was replacing t-10s in 63 with toploaders, because the t-10 was too weak for 260/289s in full size fords.

@bama69, no offense meant to your 63, I probably shouldn't have phrased my answer that way, but....
Even Ford was replacing t-10s in 63 with toploaders, because the t-10 was too weak for 260/289s in full size fords.
None taken. I have heard all the bad things. My original trans is long gone anyway

Mike, not to be a Dream Killer, but I spoke with the Tremec Team at the Autorama in Detroit, earlier this year, seeking info on a similar set up for my '65. They do not currently offer a 5/6 "TKx" for any mid '60s Mopars, and said "No real future plans" to offer them. They said it may be possible to use a later model year, but would take extensive floor tunnel work, to make it fit properly. Maybe someone can Add some info on this topic that has attempted, and succeeded the process ?

TKO, TKX is there a difference? I don't follow along with the latest and greatest stuff. Just a 5 speed what ever it's called. Seems like a saw a complete kit with everything needed from a trans vendor, not concerned with the alphabets plus it's a very seldom used street car. But most importantly I probably WON'T have the money to do the swap anyway.

I remember reading that Chrysler had to use BW T10's until the 833 was completed and ready for service.

Auto Transport Service
Back