• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Plymouth Savoy

65 dodge 65

Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
Hi All
New at this-i have a few question to ask-i put a 413 together bored 60 over with max wedge stage two intake heads and manifolds
2800 stall converter-motor sounds great-i have a 528 lift hyd.purple shaft cam-when i put it in gear setting (wheels)on the floor- motor stalls out when i put it in gear with foot brake on--
i put it on the jack stands -not holding the brakes-put it in first gear shifts fine though the gears -but when i hit the brakes motor will stall out-like the converter is to tight.any thoughts on this thanks for your time thanks jack

Check to see if your timing and idle speed are OK. I think I would be talking to your supplier of the converter. I used to do transmission rebuilds, and one of my customers called me to come over to his place to see how poorly the transmission was working in his car. The car would hardly move and was making an odd buzzing sound. I told him his torque converter was junk. He replied that is was new. He eventually changed it out, and the transmission worked fine.

ty i retard the the timing and it stayed running but started smoking like it was loading up and not burning the fuel i payed 800.00 for the convertor it shifts fine but like you said the convertor acts like there is no stalling at all.when the motor sounds good but retard the timing then it will idle while holding the brake it has a stock mopar electronic ignition i dont mind changing out the convertor but what if i put a smaller cam in.thoughts on that. ty for your time thanks jack

Are you using the pushbutton trans? If so, is the shift cable adjustment right? If the adjustment is off, that can affect things. If that's OK, I'd suspect the TC. That 528 is fairly mild and a 2800 stall converter should be OK - what brand is it? I'd go with a 3000-3200 stall 10" if you decide to swap out the converter, I like a loose TC. 62-65 trans are different animals and use a different front input shaft and if you're using an unmodified 62-65 PB trans, 66+ converters won't work with it. Mine is a 65 PB and has a swapped in later input and pump assembly.

Chuck (snook)

Check to see if your timing and idle speed are OK. I think I would be talking to your supplier of the converter. I used to do transmission rebuilds, and one of my customers called me to come over to his place to see how poorly the transmission was working in his car. The car would hardly move and was making an odd buzzing sound. I told him his torque converter was junk. He replied that is was new. He eventually changed it out, and the transmission worked fine.
Was this a Fat Finger Red X, or is there something here you have a big problem with?

Are you using the pushbutton trans? If so, is the shift cable adjustment right? If the adjustment is off, that can affect things. If that's OK, I'd suspect the TC. That 528 is fairly mild and a 2800 stall converter should be OK - what brand is it? I'd go with a 3000-3200 stall 10" if you decide to swap out the converter, I like a loose TC. 62-65 trans are different animals and use a different front input shaft and if you're using an unmodified 62-65 PB trans, 66+ converters won't work with it. Mine is a 65 PB and has a swapped in later input and pump assembly.

Chuck (snook)
hi thanks i have a 65 push button and i think what you said was done to the front pump i feel like the torque convertor is to tight and stalling the motor if i retard the timing then it will idle but the motor seems to be loading up up bad .so im thinking i might need more stall like you you said .i just got the put together in the last month cant remember were i got the tc but it was costly thanks jack

I think I would be talking to your supplier of the converter.
I had a new converter that the stator went bad causing the same condition.Pain to pull and send back but it happens.

hi thanks i have a 65 push button and i think what you said was done to the front pump i feel like the torque convertor is to tight and stalling the motor if i retard the timing then it will idle but the motor seems to be loading up up bad .so im thinking i might need more stall like you you said .i just got the put together in the last month cant remember were i got the tc but it was costly thanks jack
Jack, another vote for converter is garbage, and retarding timing hurts idle, not help.

And a gift for you to use so I don't get a headache reading your posts
Use as many as you like.

thanks all for the help-i was in between changing cams or finding folks like you all to help with the decision on the convertor -is there any way looking to see if the pump was changed out to a later style like what (snook) said about a later in-put shaft and pump-how can you tell if it was changed out(i beleive the the shaft is 23 spline thanks all jack

You can actually install a newer torque converter on the older smaller input shaft Torqueflights. The smaller shaft does not engage the larger element spline, and the car will not move. Going the other way, a small spline older torque converter will not physically install on the larger input shaft.

You can actually install a newer torque converter on the older smaller input shaft Torqueflights. The smaller shaft does not engage the larger element spline, and the car will not move. Going the other way, a small spline older torque converter will not physically install on the larger input shaft.
thanks all for the information -i will post picture of the car and let you all know what all took place once i get it out and back working -3 feet off the floor take a little longer to get things back in order.thanks jack 63 savoy 413 max wedge -not factory 63 dodge polara 500 -383 factory-i drive this car-any one has parts for sale 63 polara 500 let me know-- you can email [email protected]

Chuck (snook)
66 trans has the same spline as the 62-65 23 spline came in 1967 .

Last edited:
66 trans has the same spline as the 62-65 23 spline came in 1967 .
904 shaft size and spline count changed in 1968. I found that one out the hard way on a customer's transmission. I just assumed it would have happened at same time as 727.

Auto Transport Service
Back