• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Belvedere AM radio Mopar model 220.

Dad-Par

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Hello! Have 1964 Plymouth Belvedere w/orig AM radio Mopar Model 220, w/single center dash speaker. Installed new antenna, Radio was working fine. Used some CRC contact cleaner (non-greasy) thru on-off switch and dial stalks only , reduced ‘scratching’ sound somewhat. Worked fine for a week. Now not working. If I turn on radio, light comes on, still small amount of scratch, but gets louder as I turn up volume. Like it’s not picking up signal. Replaced antenna, have good continuity between center pole of plug and antenna mast. Good continuity again ground/outer portion of antenna plug and inner fender attachment of antenna to body (was able to reach w/probe) and good continuity of antenna ground directly to Neg terminal Battery (new body ground wire) . Both antennas same continuity. Have slowly turned Antenna Trim screw w/radio on in both directions with No result. Can anyone offer suggestion as to what’s going on? Have reprint Chryslers shop manual w/wiring diagram, I can do basic checks, but not familiar w/interpreting extensive wiring diagram. Unsure if there is fuse/resister or similar inside.

Maybe do a search through "Chad's" video clips....he loves radio work and has some awesome commentary. :)

[video=youtube;AaFeXaqwstM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFeXaqwstM&index=45&list=FLIUMhgxJzGpDukUkAD2Ak9w[/video]

Don't be put off by the Ford in the title...all radio's were made by 3rd party suppliers.

Auto Transport Service
Back