• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Savoy windshield

I will get a new gasket, the old one is hard as a rock from the Tx heat!
I got a need windshield and back glass for my Bel last year. Same deal trying to find a local co.
Got AMD but I was not going to try to get them, in just me and wife. Too many $$ invested. I have seen too many windshields get a chip on the edge and later crack!!
AMD is out of clear, they say March sometime maybe....I agree the tinted with that stupid band at top looks silly on the old cars!!

I just played this game with my '64 Polara. I wanted to make sure the windshield was clear. It really bugs me to see a car of this era with a dark band of tint across the windshield. It just looks wrong.
Unless of course it had it from the factory. I'll take that version of wrong.
004.JPG

I am building a tribute Savoy, it will just get a BB of some sort unless I sell it first. It is a clear glass car. Only place I have found any new windshields is AMD an they are out of clear. I have used their tinted (green) on another Bel I built. Questions:
Should I use the tinted windshield although not correct but tinted does make sense. If I sell it, I don't want a buyer cryng because of such.
Is there another source for new windshields, I have looked at all the different glass co.s and have found nothing. These are silly high thru AMD and shipping is nuts. I probably can order thru a local ish AMD dealer and get a break on shipping but still nuts.

Just for reference this car has all tinted glass and looks Ok to me

4B4602F9-CD3D-440D-BA96-7D8FC3827D92.jpeg 38239517-A855-4844-9E26-8465B4290C46.jpeg

The Savoy is WW1 white with red interior.

This is a Tx heater delete obvious NO AC car. Clear glass is for sure 60s and earlier.... stuff!!! But so am I!! lol

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

You all with factory tint.... interesting. Was this just an option, and/or did it come with A/C cars? My Polara 500 is a non A/C car and all the glass is clear. Pictured here after I put the new windshield in.
IMG_20211112_160631.jpg

IMG_20211112_160726.jpg

IMG_20211112_160457.jpg

IMG_20211112_160644.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was a 7000 mile find no A/C all original.
IMG_0818.jpg

I bought my 62 Plymouth Savoy windshield from Summit and had it in 3 days to my door

I believe there were four options for the front windshield.
Clear
Clear with tinted band across the top
Tinted
Tinted with darker band across the top

^^^The OEM windshields that were tinted back in the day had NO dark band across the top if I recall.
The price of windshields is high enough its the cost of shipping and boxing that makes it so darn expensive. I might have found a local glass co.that can get one. They claim it will be in warehouse in a week or so.
Most glass co. do not want to fool with these old windshields. Some will not quarantee their installation even!!!

^^^The OEM windshields that were tinted back in the day had NO dark band across the top if I recall.
The price of windshields is high enough its the cost of shipping and boxing that makes it so darn expensive. I might have found a local glass co.that can get one. They claim it will be in warehouse in a week or so.
Most glass co. do not want to fool with these old windshields. Some will not quarantee their installation even!!!
The original tinted windshields did have the dark band. It usually wasn’t quite as distinct as the replacements. Faded in a bit more and the line often wasn’t even.

^^^ Yep, You can just see the dark blue.
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1442.jpg

^^^ Yep, You can just see the dark blue.
View attachment 1202947 View attachment 1202948
I buy from Joe even if a little bit higher price! He sells and tries to supply all of us with quality parts for all parts of our vehicles. The local windshield guy won’t have a beautiful horn cap for a 64 Plymouth Savoy! Lol. So I try to support those that support us! My two cents.

Yea I buy all I can from Joe too, trying to find a LOCAL glass co.that can get the windshield and install. Shipping is what kills me.
The AMD is supposed to be correct thickness where the new glass co.are measured in MM and slightly smaller.

I believe there were four options for the front windshield.
Clear
Clear with tinted band across the top
Tinted
Tinted with darker band across the top

Pretty much all manufacturers had these 4 options available. Clear with the shade was very rare though. And tint without shade was somewhat rare but not as rare as clr/shd
Another wives' tale you'll hear is they had a "gold" band, not. Old shaded windshields will sometimes have the shade band fade to a slight gold after decades of exposure

I admit the vast majority of cars I have owned were non AC cars, except some second gen. Chargers and 1 oddball 69 Bee AC 4 speed car.

Auto Transport Service
Back