• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 sport fury

johnny ga

Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
need some information on rear ends i got a 197o ford p.u 9 inch rear what do i need to do install in a 1964 sport fury

Your '64 Sport Fury would have come with a 8 3/4" , which is plenty strong. If you want to get rid of that tapered axle setup, just swap in a 1968 - 1970 complete rear end. It is about the same width and is a straight bolt in, if you use your '64 rear emergency cables. I have done this with my '64 Dodge Polara's with no problems. This rear end is easier to service brakes, and change pots. If you want to run larger tires, use the narrower '66 - '67 rear end. Visually, it is identical to original, if you leave hub caps on.
Pick-up rear ends are usually wider than a car piece, and mount under the springs, rather than over them as a car does. I doubt if it would be worth all the effort.

Last edited:
I can only assume you are looking for dimension data...?
Try this for help;

1. Sell the 9".
2. Buy a Mopar Dana 60 and install.
Done.

My feeling is that Mopar powertrains are part of what makes them great. If you had some sort of GM car with a wimpy 10 or even 12 bolt in it I can see swapping in a 9 inch and that's why they are the go to option in the Hot Rodding world.
However Mopar made good rearends including the 8 3/4, 9 1/4 and the factory installed Dana 60's.
Swapping in a 9 inch means dicking around with e-brake cables, U-joints and welding spring perches in the right spot. So, just sticking with the 8 3/4 works fine with no fabrication needed. Of course your car would benefit from a 65-67 housing/axle/brake setup for the ease of servicing the brakes. They'll bolt in.

Auto Transport Service
Back