• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 8 3/4, 3:23 suregrip expert

GOLDMYN

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
Hi, changing axle seals and bearing and notice thrust spacer lock pin was damaged, I reinstalled w/o the pin. Tell me what I should do now.
Axle Lock Pin.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem, 90% of the factory pins are broken. Once the axles are installed the thrust spacers aren't going anywhere, just install the spacers with heavy grease to keep them in place until the axles are installed.

Thank-you! great news. If your ever in town, I'll buy you a soda. Mike

The big question is what should you do the next time you remove an axle? Because the button will very likely come out and fal to the bottom of the housing.

. I drive the car perhaps, 1500 miles a year. but, should I have to, I guess I'll take the pig out.

Don't laugh, A buddy long ago super glued the button to the end of the axle and slid it in..
He forgot to install them in the first place :BangHead::lol:

There are ways without pulling the pig, just know there will be some more time spent on it next time. And with the low miles usage it shouldn’t be soon.

As said it will work fine without the retainer pin.

Shouldn't be a problem, 90% of the factory pins are broken. Once the axles are installed the thrust spacers aren't going anywhere, just install the spacers with heavy grease to keep them in place until the axles are installed.
90% of the pins broke because of the wrong bearing thrust setting.....and sometimes the thrust spacers did find their way into places where they weren't supposed to go.....

Auto Transport Service
Back