• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Belvedere 2

Fuzzy

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
I want to change the steering column on my 65 Belvedere from a cable shifted one to a linkage type shifting linkage. Does anyone know what steering column would fit, like out of a 67 or newer B body? I also want to change the single master cylinder to a dual one so again does anyone know what would fit? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

sounds like a lot work converting to mechanical linkage V.S Cable why not replace the cables or just find a center console and go with that?

My 65 has a 67 column with mechanical linkage.Bolt in.As far as master if you are sticking to drum brakes you can go with 67 again.

My 65 has a 67 column with mechanical linkage.Bolt in.As far as master if you are sticking to drum brakes you can go with 67 again.
Sweeet !! New one on me, did you buy the car that way or did you do the work yourself & how difficult was it.

Nothing but nuts and bolts(ok a few clips and rods.).I called the guys at WildCat auto wreckers, told them what I was up to.Said, "Send me every part from the steering wheel to the transmission." Don't remember the price, maybe $250 shipped.They even sent the nuts and bolts.

sounds like a lot work converting to mechanical linkage V.S Cable why not replace the cables or just find a center console and go with that?
Thanks for the information, now I just have to locate a 67 column!

I did it in my car before I started racing it and bought an aftermarket floor shifter. It's not hard. I used a 66 column(don't even have to change the wiring). And 69 column shifter linkage. Drill a hole in the frame for the pivot point. Worked good.

Same here. Used a 66 steering column and bell crank in my 65 . Made rods to connect everything. Basically bolts in. Wiring was even correct.
IMG_0611.JPG

So if the op still has the two cable trans, how is he supposed to hook up to that? Was the trans changed to a later model? From what I know, you have a one year only setup. Still a cable trans with a slip yoke. No push buttons, either console, or one year only column shifter.

So if the op still has the two cable trans, how is he supposed to hook up to that? Was the trans changed to a later model? From what I know, you have a one year only setup. Still a cable trans with a slip yoke. No push buttons, either console, or one year only column shifter.
I forgot to say that the trans has already been changed to a later model linkage type and so has the steering column but the steering column they used doesn't fit very good that's why I asked the question. I should have said that when I first asked the question.

You didn't say if the car has drum, or disc brakes. If drum, as said, you can use the dual M/C from a 67. If disc, get a M/C for a 1974 Dart or Duster with disc brakes.15/16 bore.

I want to change the steering column on my 65 Belvedere from a cable shifted one to a linkage type shifting linkage. Does anyone know what steering column would fit, like out of a 67 or newer B body? I also want to change the single master cylinder to a dual one so again does anyone know what would fit? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I used a column from a '66 Dodge Coronet to replace the cable type in my '65 Dodge Coronet. Everything from the steering wheel, later replaced, too the trans.

Auto Transport Service
Back