• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet AWB Build

Wow - it's looking great, skicker! You're really kicking *** with your progress!

Started working on installing the roof rail trim so I could install the 1/4 windows...

About the time I thought I was done fabricating and grinding and welding and priming I found out I was wrong...

1st piece of trim I start to install has the factory clip rotted away and missing...

I check the other side...Yep both are trash...

I have that same piece of trim NOS for my 65 Belvedere II so I dug it out...

Clip was brand new and in tact...

If anyone else needs one the dimensions for this clip are in the pics below...
IMG_3551.JPG
IMG_3552.JPG
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3560.JPG

I built the first one and worked great...

Duplicated it and got both pieces of trim installed...

Also installed the front half of the roof rail trim and the stainless channel for the window seal...

Then the vent window assembly and door glass followed by the rear 1/4 glass...
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3562.JPG
IMG_3561.JPG

Many years ago, the first dealer I worked at in parts was a Chevy & Benz franchise. MB, this in the mid 80's, had a vast selection of body trim clips I liked but never pursued. They were all plastic, had a foam seal around the center where it went into the panel and most were a two piece unit. Main clip that had fingers around where it went into a panel and a center pin to expand the fingers and lock it into place. These were way better than what got used for domestics, especially the wire ones used on a lot of side trim. Prone to leaking, chipping paint and allowing rust to get going. That was pretty sharp of you improvising as I bet that was a one application clip only.

Thx...

I included the sketch because someone else may run into the same thing one day...

I guess making one comes from necessity...

I'm too cheap to chase something down and pay for it and then have to wait on it...

Today was another 15 hour day but this one has a few more things completed...

I wanted to start putting the interior aluminum in but I had to do some wiring first...

The tail light...tag light and the interior dome light(s) wiring is now finished and everything works...

I started the rear aluminum with the panel that would be the equivalent of a speaker tray...

Added the window fuzzies to the inside of the interior panels in the back and installed the aluminum on the sides...

Ran the positive battery lead up to the starter relay on the back side of the firewall...

Then installed the last piece in the center up to the speaker tray...

IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG

I then put the gaskets around the door openings and finished both vent windows...

Then installed the aluminum door panels on the doors and reinstalled the hardware...

All the aluminum is on permanent this time with pop rivets rather than the screws...
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG

I guess I forgot to take pictures of the gas tank install and the filler neck but that is also now completed...
IMG_3346.JPG
IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG

I didn't realize it until I jumped on the computer but someone did a lousy job of taking pictures today...

I cleaned the windshield and used Eastwood's Riodite on it to lessen some of the small scratches...

Got the rubber kit installed and completed installing the windshield...

Moved on to the back glass and cleaned and installed it...

Sure would have been easier if the 1/4 windows rolled down...

Completed all of the chrome interior trim and the dash trim along with getting the tach mounted...

Put all of the grommets in the firewall for the tach...oil pressure line...and ignition wiring...

Cleaned up the stainless for the front and got it installed along with the corners for the drip rail moldings...

Cleaned the rear stainless and it is ready to be installed tomorrow...

I was able to relocate 3 empty totes that once contained parts down to the bottom garage along with all of the extra stainless moldings...

Pictures are lacking...
IMG_3575.JPG

Wow you work fast, by the time my schedule frees up some you'll be driving the car.
Keep up the good work, it's looking fantastic

Thx...

You think that's been fast check out todays list...

Here are a few pics of yesterday's work...

Rear glass and interior window chrome...mirror and tach...
IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG

First off I got the rear window stainless trim installed...

Weather got pretty warm so I decided today is the day the engine goes in...

I have to open the door and roll the car back far enough to lift the engine in with the front end flipped up...

It still doesn't roll out of the garage with the rear axle relocation...

First the oil pan needed painted since it was covered up by my engine dolly when the rest was painted...

Made sure to preserve the Moroso decal...
IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG

Time to install the flywheel...clutch and pressure plate...

Then the mid mount and the Ansen bellhousing with the fork and throwout bearing...
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_3595.JPG
IMG_3596.JPG

Now it is ready to set in the chassis...

The mid mount and "wedge ears have tabs that set on top of the frame so it doesn't fall through...

Secure the rear mount and then just bolt the wedge ears on with the water pump housing and its finished...
IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3599.JPG
IMG_3601.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG

Now is when crap starts getting interesting...

Install the Weiand Tunnel Ram with the Holley 660's and then the Offenhauser valve covers...

Drop the distributor in and add the plug wires...

Put the breathers on and the velocity stacks and it starts to look like something...
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG

You got that motor in just in time,
This is at 2pm. But when I woke up everything was covered

17088007641735017734973948852989.jpg

Yea it was cold and snowing all day here...didn't get anything out of it though...

Not a lot of work occurred today...

Transmission is installed...

Trans crossmember and mount are installed...

The bar to secure the motor from ever moving forward or back is installed...
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back