• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet bucket seat hinge "spring" install help

Redsawacs

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting my seats recovered on my 65 Coronet convertible bucket seats this week. When I took the seats apart, an "S" shaped spring/bracket fell out of my seat hinge area and I don't know what it is or where it goes. I have "googled" until my fingers bled and I can't find anything on the matter.

Has anyone rebuilt their seats and can tell me what this thing is and how/where it goes back?

Thanks in advance
Dan in OKC

seat frame thingy.jpeg

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a spring in the 62-65 b bodies.

This car is all original and has been sitting since 1974. Bought from original owner. No repairs have ever been done to the car. Chalk it up to "how about that"!! There was a spring in each seat.

I think so. The seats are built and the springs are in. I'm not taking it apart again. If they are wrong, they will be wrong for the next 50 yrs!

Finally got around to getting my seats recovered on my 65 Coronet convertible bucket seats this week. When I took the seats apart, an "S" shaped spring/bracket fell out of my seat hinge area and I don't know what it is or where it goes. I have "googled" until my fingers bled and I can't find anything on the matter.

Has anyone rebuilt their seats and can tell me what this thing is and how/where it goes back?

Thanks in advance
Dan in OKC

View attachment 1498593
They are weird how they go in. I will try to get you a picture early this week

I just had the same issue. I was taking my passenger seat apart and the same piece fell out. Did anyone figure out were it goes? I'm hoping to get the seat frame sand blasted in the next few days and get it primed and painted. Then start putting it back together in a week or so.

Yea, its a detent spring. I just slips into the groove around the pin and rides on the upper seat frame. keeps the seat from flopping when you have it in the forward position

Auto Transport Service
Back