• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 1966-67 Charger Wheel Lip Moldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony George

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
66-67 Charger wheel lip moldings: Very good condition, minor dings/scratches, set of four for $285 + S&H. Palm Harbor,FL.

B4D1FDB9-6C0E-470D-BF1D-1B5404E4FBEF.jpeg

I should probably buy these, but I don't really have the money right now. Too many other parts to buy! ARGH! Tony is a good seller though!

Anyone know how these expensive little bastards were made? Stamped? Extruded? Poured? What?

I know what I have in the sets I have for my 67 R/T and Tony is very fair on these parts. Somebody recently listed 1 NOS front for $250 plus shipping and it needs straightening. A whole set for a Charger and only a few dollars more is a deal.

I know what I have in the sets I have for my 67 R/T and Tony is very fair on these parts. Somebody recently listed 1 NOS front for $250 plus shipping and it needs straightening. A whole set for a Charger and only a few dollars more is a deal.
Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying they are being unfair with pricing. They are expensive. I just want to know how they were made back in 1967.

I don't know for sure, but I would say they were stamped and the edges rolled. Also probably didn't cost but about $5 a car.

I don't know for sure, but I would say they were stamped and the edges rolled. Also probably didn't cost but about $5 a car.
Okay, how would that look? a curved and formed blank and piece of aluminum bent into a curve but wide enough to accommodate the rearward slant of the fender inwards on the front, and then BAM! with the opposite member of the stamped blank? Then trim excess off the edges and run through a lip roller? Or all in one stamping with the roll as well?

I would think that this could be done with a hardwood blank and mirror blank and aluminum strips. Not entirely unfeasible.

Are we trying to make some? Originals in 67 were stainless. I would think they were stamped in the press, then trimmed and rolled before removing. When you look at good originals you can still see the small waves on the flat surfaces where the holes are at for attaching to the fender.

Are we trying to make some? Originals in 67 were stainless. I would think they were stamped in the press, then trimmed and rolled before removing. When you look at good originals you can still see the small waves on the flat surfaces where the holes are at for attaching to the fender.
contemplating it.

When you look at good originals you can still see the small waves on the flat surfaces where the holes are at for attaching to the fender.

yep , thats true.. i have '2' nos fronts and u can clearly see the 'waves' on the flat surface

yep , thats true.. i have '2' nos fronts and u can clearly see the 'waves' on the flat surface
So do youz think the metal was hot when stamped? Or the waves are from the intense pressure? I'm thinking a hydraulic press sort of method..

So do youz think the metal was hot when stamped? Or the waves are from the intense pressure? I'm thinking a hydraulic press sort of method..
Hydraulic press, is my guess. If the metal was hot, I don't think the waves would be there unless it was cooled to fast. Whatever method was used, it was fast and efficient, just by the price of the cars when new.

I have seen car body panels being stamped and they are hydraulic pressed. Enormous pressure though. For it to be a fast slam down type of stamping they would need to be hot I think..

I have seen car body panels being stamped and they are hydraulic pressed. Enormous pressure though. For it to be a fast slam down type of stamping they would need to be hot I think..
I was of age enough back then to be able to find out, but my interest was in testing them and tire torture back then. I could have cared less about how they were made ,unless something wasn't strong enough and broke.
It's a whole different perspective now.

i have no idea... my mopar knowledge fits into a thimble...with room left over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back