• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 belvedere largest tire

I'm hoping to pick up a 67 Coronet wagon this weekend. The deal includes a set of 15x7 Cop wheels, no tires on them. Has 14's w/ 225/70r14's. I'm wanting to put 245/60r-15 on front and 275/60r-15 on the back. Fill up the openings better than the short/skinnies on it now. Anyone have any feedback on fitment issues?
Have seen many 66/67 run 255/60/15 rear and 235/60/15 front with no issues and that combo looks great.

After I get it, I'll put a wheel in place and have a look. Compare it with the 14 and go from there. Thank you all for the input.

After I get it, I'll put a wheel in place and have a look. Compare it with the 14 and go from there. Thank you all for the input.
The coronet has a 255/70 and the plymouth has a 275/60. Either fit either car. Both 15x7 with 4.25 bs. I did trim the outer wheel lip some with a wheel.

20231126_103048.jpg

I tossed the back end up today and did some measuring of existing dimensions with the 225/70-14 on 14x5.5". 3" bs with the tire bulging 1.5" past the wheel lip each side. Currently there is 2" on either side of that with the existing to the wheel lip and the spring. The 15x7 cop unit has 4"bs with 3" on the outer. So if my calculations are correct, without beer, I would have 1" to the spring for clearance and around that to the lip if I run 275/60 in the rear. If I do 255/70 I'll gain a little on both plus be almost 3/4" taller. Front looks like I have enough room to use a 245/60 or a 225/70. 235/60 is pretty much a plus one in sizing up from the 225/70-14. Not much difference. I have a cut off piece of fiberglass sledge hammer handle that I've used in the past to put between the tire and lip to move the lip around by rolling the car back and forth, not forcing it all at once but a little at a time. Will check again in the future before I get new tires. Plus I'd like to get the wheels blasted and powdered, most likely tan to match the car and use the existing caps that are on it.

I tossed the back end up today and did some measuring of existing dimensions with the 225/70-14 on 14x5.5". 3" bs with the tire bulging 1.5" past the wheel lip each side. Currently there is 2" on either side of that with the existing to the wheel lip and the spring. The 15x7 cop unit has 4"bs with 3" on the outer. So if my calculations are correct, without beer, I would have 1" to the spring for clearance and around that to the lip if I run 275/60 in the rear. If I do 255/70 I'll gain a little on both plus be almost 3/4" taller. Front looks like I have enough room to use a 245/60 or a 225/70. 235/60 is pretty much a plus one in sizing up from the 225/70-14. Not much difference. I have a cut off piece of fiberglass sledge hammer handle that I've used in the past to put between the tire and lip to move the lip around by rolling the car back and forth, not forcing it all at once but a little at a time. Will check again in the future before I get new tires. Plus I'd like to get the wheels blasted and powdered, most likely tan to match the car and use the existing caps that are on it.
I love my 255/70x15s. I have mine on some 15x8 ramcharger wheels, with not-enough backspace. (275s would fit, if they had another 1/2" b.s.)
The extra height fills out the ridiculously long wheelwells on a 62. You would just have to make sure you have enough room to the front of the opening. Mine has room for 30" but the rearend is moved back an inch.

Diameter wise, there is a large amount of space. I'm looking forward to when it can be worked in. For now, all is good. In the meantime, I'm compiling a mental list[ should probably write it down though] of to do's. The larger rotors[ 11.75 vs 10.75's] with the corresponding caliper bracket, larger rear drum units[ 11x2.5 vs 10x2], remove the Lokar throttle and kick down cables and replace with oe throttle cable using the bracket from Andy F and the 3 piece kick down rods with bell cranks as I can't get full throttle or kick down[ Lokar brackets are flimsy/flex]. Get it scaled so I can choose t-bars and springs. Make up some 2x2 SFC'S. And more stuff from there.

Auto Transport Service
Back