• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 belvedere largest tire

Edward Zeliesko

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
looking to put a bigger rear tire on my stock belvedere, has air shocks, 7 inch wheel with 4 .25 back space, any ideas ??

No idea on the back spacing as I've never measured my wheels, but I have P255/60R15's on my Satellite. Outside is almost rubbing the wheel well, but there's a good 1 1/4" between tire and leaf spring.

We tried a 275/60/15 on a 15 x 8 with 4.5" of backspace. Its really close to the outer lip.

belvedere tire.JPG

My 255/60 15s on my 67 with 15x7 wheels, outer tire rubs the passenger side slightly around corners.

Last edited:
We tried a 275/60/15 on a 15 x 8 with 4.5" of backspace. Its really close to the outer lip.

View attachment 1580468
My 255/60 15s on my 67 with 15x7 wheels rubs the passenger side slightly around corners.
Keep in mind that the bodies vary....the frames are pretty close but the sheet metal has a much greater tolerance. I found that out on my 71 340 Cuda when I made up a pair of 15x8 rallye wheels for it with 275-60-15's.....had to use a slightly different offset for the right side vs left. IIRC, the offset that had to be used was 3/8" shorter on the right side....and the car had NO signs of ever being crashed. Same thing on a pair of 70's Challengers with a across the tail trim panel but with both being built at different plants. Again, no signs of either ever being wrecked.

I mini tubbed my 66 wagon and moved the springs into the frame rails. Easy to do the mini tubs on a wagon! 66 & 67 are quite a bit tighter than earlier or later "B"s.
Mike

The issue with a '66 Plymouth is the top of the wheel well. It's narrower up there than at the lip. As you go bigger, you go taller, too. I'm running 245s and I can still get some rubbing from time to time.

The issue with a '66 Plymouth is the top of the wheel well. It's narrower up there than at the lip. As you go bigger, you go taller, too. I'm running 245s and I can still get some rubbing from time to time.
Had 235/75-15's on my 66 mounted on 15x7 cop car wheels and they would rub if I articulated the car like going into a higher than road grade driveway and the entrance was at like a 30 degree angle.

What's the clearance like when the cars are at stock ride height?
Actually the 66 has the original 57 year old springs, shackles, and bushings. Only the shocks have been changed in rear. Front has new bushings throughout, but original shocks. With the cragars being 4.25 BS I did remove the trim, cut the outer wheel lip back and replaced trim. Then gently curled trim up around the new cut edge to give a smooth edge. With the 4 3/8 steel wheels it was fine before. But I wanted cragars with the 275's.

This is mine with 15x7s and 245-60-15s ( I have no idea on BS of the rim )
Deep down I dont think I want to try and go bigger .

20210117_114548.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back