• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Bright Red 361 Survivor

Interesting that this comes up, I just posted this over at DC.com.
66's were ALL EL.
And the ONLY thing that was not EL on a 67 was the shifter and clock if so equipped.
The original AM radios from the factory were EL in 66 and 67.
AM/FM was another story, they were bulb.

There was one radio option in 66 - AM Music Master model 233 pn 2661223
There were (EL) 2 options in 67 - the Music Master (as above) and Model 381 "Deluxe 5-1/2 watt 'Astrophonic' AM" pn 2864709.

The model 370 offered in 67 which was AM/FM and was not EL. pn 2661222

And then the non EL radio, (Coronet radio) is model 232 pn 2661221. Again, in Coronets only but looks the same as the EL version in appearance.

In short if you have a factory AM/FM radio in your 66, first it was not offered so it has been replaced. By dealer possibly, but put in afterward.
Therefore you should have a red ended white wire hanging under your dash.

They did offer AM/FM in 67 but again, as mentioned previously it was NOT EL.

Had this conversation w/Bryan (A383Wing) a few weeks ago.
Looks like my Charger was back at the dealer, late in 66, as there was a factory trailer hitch (another 67 only option) so was thinking non EL AM/FM may have been installed @ that time as well.
Don't have the numbers from the radio, can the different AM/FM units be identified by the faceplate design?

66 & 67 AM-FM radios had chrome pushbuttons just like the AM versions....any other AM-FM radio that is in car now was not stock.

AM-FM was mid year dealer installed in 66

In short if you have a factory AM/FM radio in your 66, first it was not offered so it has been replaced. By dealer possibly, but put in afterward.
Therefore you should have a red ended white wire hanging under your dash.

You are correct sir!
There is an "extra" white EL wire capped off, was poking around looking at the headlamp relays and tach sender.

66 & 67 AM-FM radios had chrome pushbuttons just like the AM versions....

Yep, forgot about this part of our convo last week. My selector buttons are black....

I put this in, but here is a factory AM/FM Charger radio.
Sorry for the crappy pic, I looked through my stuff and don't have a good shot of the dash. In any case, other than 2 rows of frequency, it looks exactly like the regular radio.
00S4010090.jpg

due to the black push-buttons....I'm betting it's originally from a 70 & up "A" body....Dart, Duster, etc. I got a couple here that don't work. And yer knobs are 67 style, not 66...just for info

The face is the same as my 66-67 "B" body radio

Bryan

DCP_2380_zpsd941af53.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back