• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Center Console Attachment Points: 4 or 6?

SIX TO GO

Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
I’m trying to address some issues on my center console and in doing so I find more questions than I do answers. My first question is:
How many attachment points should the console have to the car?
When I look at the floor pan of the car, I clearly see six attachment points but, when I look at the center console, there’s nothing on the console for the two upfront to attach to the pan of the car.
I can’t see anything missing on the console but maybe they just cleaned up where it got broke off and I don’t see it. Should the console have a front bracket to attach to the pan via two screws making a total of six screws to attach or does it only use four?
8CA37274-44B6-4C88-969D-6A5E202DBBEB.jpeg
B753124E-A978-4B6C-9802-6D1FCD8B50AA.jpeg

Update: I think my center console did have a front connection point at one time and it was removed for whatever reason.
Flipping it over and in better light it appears the passenger side has been cut down at an angle for about an inch or more and that’s why there isn’t any place on one side to indicate that there would’ve been a bracket but, on the driver side, I can see that there was at least a slot for a bracket at one time.

Anybody have photographs or experience with a center console on what it should look like and how it should attach?
F4A5DFCE-C0B6-42DB-B43C-DF289AD6CC2A.jpeg

Neither my 66 or 67 car have attachment points at the front. But maybe I’m about to learn something too.

For the front a screw goes in from the side pointing to the passenger side of the car. It threads into the side of the bracket. It is under the carpeted area. The hole is slotted so it will make sure to line up with the bracket.
Many don’t put this screw back in. 5 screws total mount the console.

same mounting auto and 4 speed, but center bracket is different.

pictures is a stock 66 console

1A48981F-B6AA-4D3F-87C2-15E5D8E1261D.jpeg

213717BB-A2E7-4024-98F3-173A64236139.jpeg

For the front a screw goes in from the side pointing to the passenger side of the car. It threads into the side of the bracket. It is under the carpeted area. The hole is slotted so it will make sure to line up with the bracket.
Many don’t put this screw back in. 5 screws total mount the console.

same mounting auto and 4 speed, but center bracket is different.

pictures is a stock 66 console

View attachment 1404598

View attachment 1404599
Excellent!
I now understand, very simple and yes, mine was left out so I’ll have to come up with the correct hardware to do it correctly.
Not 4 bolts. Not 6 bolts. 5 bolts!
I see how it will work.
Thanks for speaking up!!
5AF83518-3DE0-4902-A17F-F8E7B0431158.jpeg
E124E40B-EB5F-42B9-8BB6-5405B9CE20D2.jpeg

Yep, learned something.

Do the 4-speed cars with the hump out for the shifter have that too? I obviously missed it if they do.

Yep, learned something.

Do the 4-speed cars with the hump out for the shifter have that too? I obviously missed it if they do.
I think the answer is visible if you have access to the center console in question.
If it’s notched on the drivers side like mine is above then the answer is likely yes.
If you have the console out and your floor has the slot on the side of a bracket in front of the hump then - yeah!
My guess is that they did include it on 4 speeds.

I actually get why they do it. It’s not only to just secure the whole assembly better into the car but, with it, you’ll be able to keep the console level or prevent it from rolling a little. Those are two of the things I’m hoping will be corrected on mine. Part of the problem was everything was just a little loose on mine (not torqued down) but the other part was that the whole assembly leaned down a little towards the passenger side and wasn’t level.

Yep, learned something.

Yes they do.

The plastic portion of the console is the same, just clearanced more to go around the 4 spd hump. Then covered with the carpeted section
Same screw locations

And for the record..... the console itself is held in with the same exact screws as the windshield washer reservoir.

Auto Transport Service
Back