• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger Questions

I think most of what everyone has said is true about the first gens. They are the most expensive because stuff isn't reproduced. Parts that are aren't quality (I have a set of those cheap quarters if you need some). That's the main reason I'm going to restomod mine. But, the car is different inside and out. If that's what you want, this is one of the Mopars to have.

I may have a trade on my Vette for a 70 340 Duster clone. The car has a 318 in it but I know where there are a few motors and trans.

I also had a job interview to day and after being disabled (age 29) from a stroke for so long it will be nice to not only have a MOPAR back in the garage but back to life.

The first gen of Chargers are one of my favorite and its funny that you guys dont see that many on the road. I have seen a few around town but none at any of the local car shows :eek: always driving around...go figure.

They need to or someone needs to make parts for these cars and really restored or restromod they look great. I really like then in restromod very nice looking.

I have a '66 Charger with the 361 engine. The problem areas I have run into regarding parts and/or repair are:

* Finding exterior chrome
* Electroluminescent dash lighting
* Gauges
* Hide-away headlights

I love the looks of the first gen B-bodies; but, they are a PITA to restore.

I have a '66 Charger with the 361 engine. The problem areas I have run into regarding parts and/or repair are:

* Finding exterior chrome
* Electroluminescent dash lighting
* Gauges
* Hide-away headlights

I love the looks of the first gen B-bodies; but, they are a PITA to restore.

There are guys on the 66-67 Charger site that rebuild headlamps and instrument clusters. Also there is plenty of chrome out there, just have to look at some different sites.
Also, you need to get a service manual for these cars, they are a huge help when troubleshooting headlights and dash light problems.

Everything is fixable. Either the parts you have can be fixed or someone has the parts. Don't let it discourage you. The work is worth it in the end.

The only thing you have to worry about is the pocket book and you other half.

As the owner of two first Gens (66 and 67), they are harder to find parts for than both of my A bodies (Duster and Demon). That being said, parts are available , either from donor cars or repops (BEA Parts has been a huge help). I started a small side business 3 years ago restoring the first gen Charger gauge clusters (www.thegaugedoc.com) and have done close to 50 to date. I love the lines of these cars and when you go to a car show or cruise in, people love them and you are usually the only one at the show with a 66 or 67 Charger. The key is to find one that has not been left out in humid weather where the interior chrome has pitted. Those parts are almost impossible to find. And they are the most reasonabily priced B bodies out there, a quality driver can be had for 12-15K.

Mark

As the owner of two first Gens (66 and 67), they are harder to find parts for than both of my A bodies (Duster and Demon). That being said, parts are available , either from donor cars or repops (BEA Parts has been a huge help). I started a small side business 3 years ago restoring the first gen Charger gauge clusters (www.thegaugedoc.com) and have done close to 50 to date. I love the lines of these cars and when you go to a car show or cruise in, people love them and you are usually the only one at the show with a 66 or 67 Charger. The key is to find one that has not been left out in humid weather where the interior chrome has pitted. Those parts are almost impossible to find. And they are the most reasonabily priced B bodies out there, a quality driver can be had for 12-15K.

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the advice and the link to the gauge work you do. I'm looking and later on when I have the money to do so.

I traded the Vette for a 70 Duster 340 clone car. I always wanted to clone a Duster if I couldn't find the real deal. I will take the car and enjoy it and be glad I'm back in the land of MA MOPAR!!! I'm never leaving again.

The 66-67 are some of the best looking cars and the lines on the are just plain mean, it looks like it was made to be a tough street car and says dont mess with me all over it.

I do like the 68 Charger and 70 then the 71-74 lines I like. I have never been a big fan of the 69 Charger for some reason. I dont care for the grill, but I would own one if given the chance.

I will keep my eye out for one for later on.

Be happy to help anytime! My 71 340 Demon and 340 Duster are both numbers matching bench seat column shift automatics. I'm pretty far along on the Demon restoration, new paint and interior and a rebuilt tranny. The Duster is an all original car with one repaint, B5 blue with blue interior. That one needs body and paint work and interior work and.......that's why I started the gauge business I guess......

Mark

Be happy to help anytime! My 71 340 Demon and 340 Duster are both numbers matching bench seat column shift automatics. I'm pretty far along on the Demon restoration, new paint and interior and a rebuilt tranny. The Duster is an all original car with one repaint, B5 blue with blue interior. That one needs body and paint work and interior work and.......that's why I started the gauge business I guess......

Mark

Thanks Mark, those cars sound nice and I like the color combo on the Duster. What is it on the Demon?

I see more FF4 color cars from the 70s then any other color. This clone car is Lemon Twist but originally a FF4 green car.

I may tae the black stripes off and put white ones on and a white top as well.

Yeah I thought about doing a parts reproduction business a few times. I'm starting a parts, parts car and car locating business very soon. I have done this for a long time for free and I think I would like to do it to add some income.

Auto Transport Service
Back