• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger restoration projects - before and after

Car has been cleaned and some parts removed since this shot, but you get the basic idea. LOOOOONG way to go.

Wish I had something more exciting for you folks!

Tom

IMG_20201106_075144.jpg

At the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals this year (2023), I - for the first time - met some of the guys at the FBBO tent. It was cool, everyone was very welcoming.
Don Frelier and I spent some time talking first generation Chargers. Great guy!

I have an early '66 Charger, build date of January 3rd, 1966. I pulled the car out of a field many years ago. Originally this 383 powered car was painted Medium Blue (DD1), it presently wears a poorly applied white over a poorly applied black, as found. This Michigan car has lots of rust, bondo and issues...long way to go. Due to life's circumstances and finances, for years the most I could do for the car was the occasional parts purchase.

Finally, as of late, I have been able to start doing some restoration work. I am doing as much as I can myself.

After showing Don a few before and after pics at Carlisle, he suggested that I post some here. Sooooo....here we go.

Thanks for checking them out!
Hi there. I just joined this Forum and cannot find a way to create my own thread and was hoping if you could help me out

How do you create your own new thread?
At the top of any forum, to the right, you should see (in a white box) 'mark read' 'ignore forum' and 'watch'. Next to this is a gold box that says 'post thread'. Click there to get started.

John Folz -

Looks like you're going all-out! Impressive!! I hope it's going well.

What direction are you going with it (resto, resto-mod, etc.)? Color? Engine?

Cheers, Tom

John Folz -

Looks like you're going all-out! Impressive!! I hope it's going well.

What direction are you going with it (resto, resto-mod, etc.)? Color? Engine?

Cheers, Tom

Rebellion,

Appreciate It!! You as well!!

I have replaced both inner fenders and radiator support up front as well as a trunk and main floor pans, fenders need a little work yet but the end of metal work is near!!

The tail panel piece on the back right below the tail light is my biggest dilemma at the moment

Going more on the stock side with small upgrades

Car is originally ZZ1 Citron Gold with a gold interior, going to stay with that color on the exterior but with black inside.

Motor was originally a 361 auto trans those are both long gone. I have acquired a 68 440 with a matching 727 that will make its way into the engine bay eventually. Plan is just a small cam but mostly stock. and the goal is a stock appearing engine bay.

Keep up the great work on your car!

Rebellion,

Appreciate It!! You as well!!

I have replaced both inner fenders and radiator support up front as well as a trunk and main floor pans, fenders need a little work yet but the end of metal work is near!!

The tail panel piece on the back right below the tail light is my biggest dilemma at the moment

Going more on the stock side with small upgrades

Car is originally ZZ1 Citron Gold with a gold interior, going to stay with that color on the exterior but with black inside.

Motor was originally a 361 auto trans those are both long gone. I have acquired a 68 440 with a matching 727 that will make its way into the engine bay eventually. Plan is just a small cam but mostly stock. and the goal is a stock appearing engine bay.

Keep up the great work on your car!
I would suggest pearl white seats and black carpet.
But you would need pearl white door panels and vynal everywhere else.

I would suggest pearl white seats and black carpet.
But you would need pearl white door panels and vynal everywhere else.
Definitely still an option I have not ordered any upholstery yet and the interior pieces can still be all dyed

is that a nickle plating or regular chrome as i was hoping o do my 66 satellite trim and bumpers in the dark nickle or black chrome and these look very similiar unless its just the lighting in the pics thats decieving

is that a nickle plating or regular chrome as i was hoping o do my 66 satellite trim and bumpers in the dark nickle or black chrome and these look very similiar unless its just the lighting in the pics thats decieving

Hi earll26,

That is regular chrome. Sorry if the lights are deceiving.

I've seen some cars done with black chrome that look awesome. What color is the car?

I worked at Heritage Guitars for awhile. I loved the nickel finish on some of the pickup covers vs. the chrome ones. On those however, the only issue was that the nickel was softer and more prone to wear.

Thanks for checking this out!
Tom

Last edited:
Very nice work. What are the sanding grades you used for restoring these?

Hi Ragnar S,

The grit selection is pretty much dictated by the damage you're working on.

First, I work on the dents, bends, twists etc. Sanding is next. As you probably know, the lower the grit number, the coarser the finish but quicker the material removal rate. The severity of the damage on your pieces will dictate how aggressive your initial grit will be. Only start as aggressive as you have to be, for example...if you start with scratches that are not very deep, don't start with 120 grit, if 320 grit will eliminate them. Work the area, gradually increasing the grit number until almost polishing.

Maybe think of the sanding work in sections:
· Initial damage - 100 grit, 220 grit, 320 grit
· Initial damage is about gone, but now you have to eliminate the additional scratches from your work - 600 grit, 800 grit
· It's smoothing out. Finer grades - 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit, 3000 grit

I used a buffing wheel with White Rouge and Jeweler's Rouge after this.

Keep in mind: Use sanding blocks. If you have imperfections, sanding by hand will only enhance them. I use Dura-Block sanding blocks as they work well with adhesive backed sandpaper.

I'm not sure that I helped, but I truly tried!

Tom (Rebellion)

Front fender headlight (fore) splash shields. I bought these used years ago. The pieces on my Charger are shot.

Shields have been sandblasted, sanded and powder coated with careful attention regarding original finish sheen. Repro masticated rubber pieces attached.

BEFORE:

View attachment 1529931
View attachment 1529932

AFTER:

View attachment 1529933
View attachment 1529930
Where or whom did you buy the repro masticated rubber pieces from? I need to buy for my 67. Thanks in advance.

Hi earll26,

That is regular chrome. Sorry if the lights are deceiving.

I've seen some cars done with black chrome that look awesome. What color is the car?

I worked at Heritage Guitars for awhile. I loved the nickel finish on some of the pickup covers vs. the chrome ones. On those however, the only issue was that the nickel was softer and more prone to wear.

Thanks for checking this out!
it is going to be 2013 viper striker red these pics are the car

FB_IMG_1632881798095.jpg

image000001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back