• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet small block headers

vanhofeldt

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
I am working on a 1966 coronet, which was originally a 318 and is now a 360, and my customer is looking for a set of headers. I told him it’s pretty hard due to starter and steering gearbox and other things, but I’m giving it a shot and looking for an off the shelf set that might fit. Does anybody know of one or have any other advice? Are there any smaller steering boxes to clear headers? Should he just go big block?

It all depends on budget and plans for the car's use. Street, drag, autocross Etc.
Price can be as little as $250 or $1200 or more.
Budget friendly are the Jegs,Summit that are good in the $200 range no steering or starter problems.
The also can be coated in the $400 range. Ease of steering/starter would be Shortys such as TTI or Schumacher
but now the prices climb. Long tube from TTI, Dougs and others are out there.
Burgman Auto Craft sells a real nice power steering kit that is much smaller for more clearance.
My 63 Belvedere has a 1970 318 and I have the Jegs brand low price and works for what I need.

TTI
Dougs
Hooker Super Comp (not "regular" Comp)

None of them is cheap.

Customer wants headers for their 360. Routing is difficult. Fit a mini-starter? Borgeson steering box? Nah, just go big block...haha

Had Hooker Super Comps on a 71 340 Cuda and I could pull the starter out without loosening the headers. I was using the 'shorter' stock starter and it was snug but so long as I kept my mouth closed, it would come out. The 66 engine bay is pretty much like the newer model cars. I know it's for sure not smaller.

Auto Transport Service
Back