• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Dodge Coronet 727 Transmission

Drock

Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
So I had a transmission leak, I knew it was there when I bought the car from the original owner , I just didnt know how bad it was... lesson learned.. I replaced the pan gasket and filter and got that one under control, however it apparently was leaking from every possible other location. My wife started complaining about it leaking in the street so I begrudgingly took it to my local reputable transmission shop.

They noticed there were leaks from every oraface other than the pan which I had already replaced and recomended taking the tranny out to inspect it properly. The cost to remove it and put it back in was a flat $500 which seemed high but when I thought about it, at $80 an hour ends up being 3 hours to remove and 3 hours to re-install which seems a little excesive, but not totally unreasonable. After removal they found all the clutches and bands where totally band burnt out.. no idea how it was even shifting.. I had a look myself and was shocked it was working as well as it was which is a testiment to what incredible transmission the 727 is.

They quoted $1150 to do a total rebuild all new everything including chemical bath for the housings. This included all replacement parts plus a shift kit and rebuilt torque convertor. (I intend to eventually "stock race" it on the 1/4mile)

So my total cost for a totally rebuilt tranny with some upgrades, install everything and a 20k Mile warrenty is $1650. So the question is how hosed am I ? To me this seems pretty reasonable if you just go hours 18.75hours * $80 , 12hrs of just working on rebuilding and testing the tranny, remember I am in Southern California in the city and everything is quite expensive here...

Buying something from TCI etc doesnt get me near the piece of mind of warranty etc... so we have to factor that in... Plus the $500 is going to happen regarless so if I bought "new" or not it will really be at the same price or higher..

Last edited:
Lol, no. That sounds high. $500 for the remove and re-install (on a lift this is a 1 hour job both ways), $200 for a rebuild kit (depending on what it actually needs) and a torque converter, stock ($200). Once it is out a complete rebuild would only take 1.5 hour, maybe 2 hours with a shift kit.

They are easy enough to rebuild yourself but I would get another quote.

According to your numbers, 18.75 hours x $80 = $1,500, and the total with warranty is $1,650? I am thinking they covered the cost of the parts in the labor hours? I think the labor is not taxed, but the parts would have been?
I have no idea of the quality of the parts used, or any extra work that may have been done? To me, I would think $1,400 should have covered it, but your only $250 higher.

Lol, no. That sounds high. $500 for the remove and re-install (on a lift this is a 1 hour job both ways), $200 for a rebuild kit (depending on what it actually needs) and a torque converter, stock ($200). Once it is out a complete rebuild would only take 1.5 hour, maybe 2 hours with a shift kit.

I think your labor estimates are way too low. Is that 1 hour to both remove and replace the trans, or 1 hour for each removal and 1 hour install? Rebuilding a trans in 1.5 hours is only if it is a quick refresh on a clean transmission. A TF-2 shift kit is usually an hour job by itself, and if they charge about retail of $120 for the shift kit and $80 for an hour labor that is $200 just for the shift kit.

I'll bet book time R&R is no more than 3 hrs. Total rebuild including R&R no more than 6 hrs book time. Add 1 hr for the shift kit. Wholesale parts less than $400. You do the math.
Doug

I think the numbers are reasonable, I have a great transmission guy here and he charged $950 for a complete rebuid on a loose 46RH with a new converter. I removed and installed it.
That's a New York number which should be comparable since we both live in the "State of Taxation".

I had mine rebuilt with a new tc for $700. R+R myself. They are an older company with lower rates.

These newer vehicles come with a hefty price tag for transmission rebuilds.

Also it likely has 19 spline input shaft & torque converter. If you do want a higher stall they are kind of hard to find.
Contact Pat Blais he is in Seattle I think.
You may want to consider getting it modified to be a 23 spline like a 67 and newer then a torque converter swap is cheaper and easier in the future.

The two transmission shops I have done business with charge $120 hour labor here in Tucson.

I don't think the $1650 is outrageous.

A 727 can almost be done blindfolded by any reputable trans shop. I believe the costs come in for warranty purposes. If the shop stands behind their work.

If you have a transgo kit call the hot line on the instructions- they can hook you up with a reputable trans shop
If you are in the LA area just stop by the operation in El Monte- ask for Dave
BTW the OD mentioned above would be more- The transgo big spring is a unique piece for them
You could also call TAVO Matic transmission parts- good source for TF parts and Tavo (ask for TAVO himself) could hook you up with one of his re-builder customers
626 582 1884

Also it likely has 19 spline input shaft & torque converter. If you do want a higher stall they are kind of hard to find.
Contact Pat Blais he is in Seattle I think.
You may want to consider getting it modified to be a 23 spline like a 67 and newer then a torque converter swap is cheaper and easier in the future.

PTC has 19 splines available. I ordered mine through John Cope. Very reasonable price too.

I think your labor estimates are way too low. Is that 1 hour to both remove and replace the trans, or 1 hour for each removal and 1 hour install? Rebuilding a trans in 1.5 hours is only if it is a quick refresh on a clean transmission. A TF-2 shift kit is usually an hour job by itself, and if they charge about retail of $120 for the shift kit and $80 for an hour labor that is $200 just for the shift kit.
I meant 1 hour to pull and 1 hour to install, so 2 hours. So ignoring the r&r labor, the shop is charging $1150 for a stock rebuild on a 727 which is way too much.

When I worked at the trans shop, labor hours can vary quite a bit. With the R&R, headers and custom exhaust systems can eat up time if you have to remove them to get the trans out. Some jobs came in with messed up trans lines where we had to make new lines to install the trans. It is all the unexpected stuff that kills the labor, like broken bolts, striped threads, and just getting caked on muck off some of the transmissions. On one trans, I had to heli-coil about 1/2 of the pan holes that were stripped out. Without an itemized list not really sure what all was done? Did they change out the 19-spline input shaft? Polish the drums on a lathe? Replace any hard parts in the transmission?
Not sure how the warranty cost factors in? 20K miles, but how many months? The shop I was at just did a 6-month warranty. Had a trans come back that we fixed under the warranty where the guy tore the sprag out when he got his truck stuck and was rocking it forward and reverse over and over.

yes- replace the early input shaft and drum use the later converter
you could also go lockup or 518

Looking for speedo pinion seals last summer & the trans shop I went to got me the parts for free(Chebby parts) & acted like 3-spds were dinosaurs! He was talking about 5-6-8 spds.

"Easy to rebuild yourself" Your assuming I have a lift and garage and all the tools.. $500 is high but that's the counts towards the total.. (I think its to keep looklou cheapskates from their shop) Also the parts are all latest OE with the exception of the extra shift kit. And this is a total rebuild every single thing that can be replaced is being replaced. Including chemical bath for the trans case.

According to your numbers, 18.75 hours x $80 = $1,500, and the total with warranty is $1,650? I am thinking they covered the cost of the parts in the labor hours? I think the labor is not taxed, but the parts would have been?
I have no idea of the quality of the parts used, or any extra work that may have been done? To me, I would think $1,400 should have covered it, but your only $250 higher.

yeah there were some extras for the shift kit plus missing bolts and some additional gaskets from removing the headers and exhaust.. Its not a terrific deal but its not something I could not have done in a weekend by myself.. your correct no tax on labor just parts.. but that's all absorbed in the total so 1650 is out the door..

exactly! I have dual exhaust with cross over and headers that are in the way..

When I worked at the trans shop, labor hours can vary quite a bit. With the R&R, headers and custom exhaust systems can eat up time if you have to remove them to get the trans out. Some jobs came in with messed up trans lines where we had to make new lines to install the trans. It is all the unexpected stuff that kills the labor, like broken bolts, striped threads, and just getting caked on muck off some of the transmissions. On one trans, I had to heli-coil about 1/2 of the pan holes that were stripped out. Without an itemized list not really sure what all was done? Did they change out the 19-spline input shaft? Polish the drums on a lathe? Replace any hard parts in the transmission?
Not sure how the warranty cost factors in? 20K miles, but how many months? The shop I was at just did a 6-month warranty. Had a trans come back that we fixed under the warranty where the guy tore the sprag out when he got his truck stuck and was rocking it forward and reverse over and over.

So your right on here, I have custom exhaust and headers that are in the way... This is a full OE rebuild every seal, every gasket, every moving part with exception of the shaft, trans lines, chemical bath for the case, polish drums and shift kit. The warranty is strictly miles driven no months .. which is good because I don't drive all that much..

Auto Transport Service
Back