• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Fender tag decoding

Any build sheet in back seat springs or driver's seat under the carpet. I found one there folded up where front carpet overlaps rear carpet. Original owner added 3/4" blocks to studs to raise the seat.
No luck with any build sheets Fran..picked clean. Although I did find the black tags under the seats. Is there any significance to those? Are those just code for the seats?

BQLV8152.JPG

It, as well as D/9, are not common.

I'm not confident enough to say what I think they are and I'm not sure it codes what may be the logical choice.
Do you know if they put a code on the fender tag for rear end?

yes

Under "AX"

The number under the A will be the ratio.

If there's anything under the X, it's a sure grip.

The codes for the ratios are on the Charger site.

Although I did find the black tags under the seats. Is there any significance to those? Are those just code for the seats?

View attachment 1091098

Yes. The tags, typically, contain the vendor number, the part number for that particular seat (looks like 2577494) and color and a date code (looks like 6-20). They would be useful for inventory control and correct installation.

Last edited:
You sure 66 fender tag has any axle symbol as you describe?

oops, thinking of the 67 tag

but the OP still might like this-

http://www.66-67charger.com/sourceguide/
So according to the Charger site, a "9" under the D = front disc brakes. Is it safe to assume that the "8" would be for drum brakes? Also, under the Y in the middle row, it looks like a sideways "A" punched through the metal. Any ideas about that?

So according to the Charger site, a "9" under the D = front disc brakes. Is it safe to assume that the "8" would be for drum brakes? Also, under the Y in the middle row, it looks like a sideways "A" punched through the metal. Any ideas about that?

I would be cautious about the 9 meaning disc brakes and no, that doesn't necessarily mean the 8 is drum brakes. As I said before, the use of the 9 and 8 are not common. If 8= drum, you'd see it on far more tags. Coding quirks exist that are not caught by online decoders.

The A is a standard inspection stamp at the St. Louis plant. Someone did their job, inspected something and punched the tag.

Does your car have 11" drum brakes? If it does that could be it.

Sources cite that but I don't think that is correct. If it was, I think one would expect to see the code far more frequently than it shows up.

Last edited:
I wonder if power brakes?

Good thing I already had this decoded!
'66/'67 Charger VIN decoder

RP23E67208855

R - Could Not Understand

P - Premium Price Class
23 - Could Not Understand
E - 318 2bbl A 230hp
6 - 1966 model year
7 - Could Not Understand
208855 = 108,855th car off the line at that plant for that build year

The "could not understand" means you used the Charger decoder. "R" is Belvedere/Satellite. "23" is two-door hardtop "7" is the assembly plant - St. Louis, MO. None of which apply to '66 - '67 Charger, so they were not a part of the decoding info you used.

The "could not understand" means you used the Charger decoder. "R" is Belvedere/Satellite. "23" is two-door hardtop "7" is the assembly plant - St. Louis, MO. None of which apply to '66 - '67 Charger, so they were not a part of the decoding info you used.
I'm pretty sure he meant to use the Charger decoder for the fender tag. I had the door post tag decoded, although I did plug in the numbers just to see if it verified it. Thanks.

In the vicinity of the mounting screws...the rust indicates that this car if ****'n old!

Last edited:
Anyone care to decode this fender tag? I'm most interested in the middle line #' s and the 1 at the end of the first line. Also with the first 8 numbers in the bottom line and if that is a Q or 0 at the very end and what it means. Thank you.

View attachment 1089292
Mopar2ya!!

FYI

Here Is An Accurate / Reliable
Source For The 66-67 Chargers!

“1966-67 chargerregistry.com”

Decode your tag !
Register Your Charger With The Registry !!
It Won’t Hurt …. I promise !!!!
Hahaha…

Good Site
Good People
No BS Hype…

John

Here’s mine…

XP29G61198299…..

x-Charger
P-Premium Price Class
29-Two Door Fastback
G-383 4bbl 325HP
6-1966 Model Year
1-Built at the Lynch Road Plant
198299-98,299 car off the line at the plant for that build year

COOL

A4E4DF93-8C25-41CA-B615-B338F72E46F3.jpeg 51F9A9D6-F056-4B91-9D2E-6D2C8446C273.jpeg A43C2740-DA87-4C54-BB6C-CACB6E07F8BC.jpeg C3389684-64D7-4A92-8FCF-546B28D6E666.jpeg F73B2A3A-027A-4630-9894-2B783C9FD006.jpeg

T/Q = upper door frame painted red to match P4R (red) interior.

D/8 = I'm not confident giving an answer on this one.
G/1 = 26" radiator

a/6= console
b/5 = bucket seats
u/1 = ordered car = someone sat down with an order sheet and checked the boxes to have the car built as they wanted it. = "Hey, someone is waiting on their car. Get on it."

"Ordered" does not equal 'special ordered'. Believe it or not, people actually ordered cars they way they wanted them.

108,855th car off the line at that plant for that build year = commonly reported and believed but totally inaccurate. Cars were not built in sequential VIN order. It is not possible to say a car was built such and such before or after another car based on VINs. That's just not how it worked. VINs are related to administration of an order, they have NOTHING to do with production sequence. Online decoders, generally, suck.

View attachment 1089806
No, it was the 8,855th car off the line that year. All Chrysler plants started the yearly numbering system with 100001. Ignore the leading "1" to get the correct number of vehicles each year.

.......and special ordered cars usually had option 691Expedite at the bottom of the Monroney label. That meant get it here yesterday instead of the normal 4 to 6 weeks for a normal sit-down-and-order-it car. That's how I got mine in just over 2 weeks when I ordered it.

Auto Transport Service
Back