• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Hemi Trans Cooler Question.

Hemi2Much

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could give me some insight on how the Transcooler for a 1966 Hemi 727 hooks up. From what I can tell the Radiator has a transmission cooler built into it.
But my Coronet came with a separate trans cooler. Is the trans cooler in the radiator bypassed
and only the separate cooler used? Are there different trans cooler lines if you're using the radiator vs the separate cooler? Does anyone make repop trans cooler mounting brackets and does anyone have good pictures of where and how the separate trans cooler mounts to the core support?
I'll be getting my Transmission back from PTC next week. They were able to save the original transmission shell out of the Coronet. All they have left to do is run the transmission on a dyno. The engine is finally being rough-bored this week and I hope to have it back within the next 4-6 weeks. I also finally got my door panels in from Legendary. Kenny from PTC sold me a matched set of 1966 Carter AFB Carburetors date coded C6. I'll be shipping them off to Harms to have them rebuilt.
Finally seems like some progress is being made.

FSM has a nice diagram that will answer your questions. The radiator cooler is used as well as the extra cooler.

It's probably one of the more usable factory diagrams. I'm not sure if anyone reproduces the extra lines needed, I always have just bent my own. You'll need a couple of fittings but any good auto parts store should have them.

Auto Transport Service
Back