• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Belvedere I 426 HEMI`s: let`s track them down!

Hi fellows!

Just when I thought this thread might starve, then over @Moparts member "mattsmopars" came arround throwing in 12 cars WITH their VIN`s…what shall I say?

THAT IS AWESOME, BIG THANKS to both Matt and his buddy Joe!!!

In short: we have 10 totally new cars and 1 new VIN to the already known cars.

So I`ll work through Matt`s 12 cars in the order of his mentioning:

1) RL21H61233725 => car including VIN was already on my list (#2)

2) RL21H67298839 => car was already on my list (#21 „unknown12“), but thanks to you I can tie down a VIN to it J

This car was on ebay in 3/2021 and during that featured by barnfinds.com, but entries were too old, so I could not get more infos/photos.

To my taste, this car has a stunning color-combo and it would be a tough decision to tell if I would prefere the black-on-red one or this most. In doubt, I would take both ;-)

3) RL21H61179108 => BINGO, new car & vin to me! Thus added to my list as #39. Do you by chance have more info on it: int.color / heater or radio-delete / or even fendertag?

Regarding the stated exterior-color „QQ1“, may I hind that „QQ1“ is not a „maroon“, but a dark-red-metallic, which fits to what I see in your picture. Sorry for nitpicking…“know-it-all-mode“ off ;-)

4) RL21H61179112 => and another new car & vin, added to my list as #40. Do you by chance have more info on it: int.color / brakes / heater or radio-delete / or even fendertag ?

5) RL21H61181428 => new car & vin, added as #41. Do you by chance have more info on it: int.color / brakes / heater or radio-delete / or even fendertag ?

6) RL21H61214657 => added as #42.

7) RL21H61221638 => added as #43.

8) RL21H61264992 => added as #44, BUT: could there be a typo in the given VIN#: not „992“, but „299“ instead? Reason I am asking: we have a car with VIN „299“ in the list (#3), that is also from CANADA.

The #3-car (299) is pretty good documented. Do you have more infos on your #44-car (922)?

Regarding ammount of cars originally produced for CANADA: I heard roumors that they only made 10 RL21H6-cars, one of each exterior colour.

But there were 12 colors available for a Belvedere I (other BELV/SAT`s could get up to 17 colors).

Or was intended to say „Each CDA-car hat a different ext-color“? Then 10 CDA-cars might still be correct.

Can anyone breed more flesh to the question, how many „RL21H6“ were produced originally for CANADIAN market or even other EXPORT markets?

9) RL21H61265081 => added as #45, BUT: could this be the same car as #16 „unknown7“ of Ralph from ralphsrapidtransit.com?

His #16-car is now dk-blue-met / red int., but if you look up his restauration-phots, his #16-car was beige/tan „XX1“ originally (to my eyes a shade too dark for WW1-white). His interiour originally also was tan (L1T).

10) RL21H61266886 => added as #46. Any info on what „blue“ exterior-paint: light, light-met. Or dark-met.?

11) RL21H67299813 => added as #47. Any more infos more info on it: trans / colors / brakes / heater or radio-delete / or even fendertag ?

12) RL21H61228226 => added as #48. Any more infos more info on it: brakes / heater or radio-delete / or even fendertag ?

AGAIN, wow and thanks: we jumped up to 48 cars now, which is more of on 1/3!

EDIT#1: I ufortunately cannot edit my initial #1-post anymore. Thus I add the newly updated list here.

EDIT#2: 20221014 - we`re up 7 more cars, 5 alone again supplied by moparts-member Matt and his buddy Joe. The 2 other cars came also from moparts-members. Hey fbbo-fellows, don`t let the moparts-fellows take over ;-)

Anyway, we`re up to 55 in total, that is more than 40% - wow, great work, thanks everybody!

Database RL21H6_TM_20221012_cars1-25.jpg

Database RL21H6_TM_20221014_cars26-51.jpg

Database RL21H6_TM_20221014_cars52-55.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this one has been accounted for, I came across this so hopefully this adds to the list

1966 Plymouth Belvedere Hemi #MUSC-PC1362 - John Scotti Classic Cars

Thanks for contributing @440gtx1967 , but yes: it is on the list already (#6).

But as I see you are from CDA: there is one presented on youtube by a French-Canadian monsieur (user “Gilbert R”). Car belongs to his friend, is a 4spd, dark blue, #27 “unknown16” in my list, as I could not tie down a VIN to this car.

Do you accidentally know “Gilbert R” or his friend, so that you could reach out and that we hopefully find out about that car’s VIN?

Or do you even know this car’s VIN already?

As the video of this car is older (uploaded 7yrs ago) and this car is same color/trans-combo, this might be the same car as the OTHER JohnScotti-advertised car (#8 in my list).

Here is the links to 2 videos of the 66HP2 featured by Gilbert R:

Video uploaded 7yrs ago:

Video uploaded 1yr ago:

Over @Moparts member "mattsmopars" hinded to a car, that is also already on my list (#33, Jim Owens "Candy Man"), but we might take the chance to put some more light to it: most prefereably get the VIN or any infos on the whereabouts.

Though this car looks pretty professional by ist appearance, I was not able to find much info neither on the car or the driver.

BUT I got 2 hinds that might help the community:

1) The photo was reportedly taken in the parking lot of „Blair`s Speed Shop“, see post@FB from „Pete Eastwood“. Anyone knows this shop? Or has a FB-account and could ask „Pete Eastwood“ for more infos? Photo was posted on FB by „Jeff McKee“, see following link, info on the photo-location is in the comments:

2) Jim Owens might eventually be the same Jim Owens that wrote the book „The Legend of the Dysartsville Plymouth“. If so, he grew up in Western North Carolina, near the Blue Ridge Mountains. At the hamlet of Dysartsville 3 counties met: Rutherford County, Burke County, and McDowell County. Dysartsville was known for making moonshine. And the „Dysartsville Plymouth“ was a 63 Plymouth 2-door with a Hemi and pushbutton-auto, cranking around 600hp and carrying „moonshine“. That car was famous to be „the fastest car arround“, leaving the police way behind and – if not on m/s-duty – doing some streetracing. Jim Owens heard of this „unbeatable“ car and wanted to challenge it.

I wonder with what…maybe withis his 66 „Candy Man“-Belvedere?

ISBN of that book is e.g. 978-1984510464. Pic of the cover attached: very promising, with that bespoke 63 „unbeatable“ Plymouth and a 389-Tri-Power GTO.

Author Jim Owens can be found @FB: The Legend of the Dysartsville Plymouth

So: anybody knows of Jim Owens and his 66 Belvedere „Candy Man“?

1966 Belvedere I HEMI_Jim Owens_CANDY MAN.jpg

1966 Belvedere I HEMI_Jim Owens_CANDY MAN_comment.jpg

Dysartsville Plymouth_ Owens, Jim.jpg

And I discovered hopefully 1 new car:

Added as #54 „unknown31“ in my list is a beige (XX1) car of Gerald GEARY of Louisville, KY running under sponsorship of RIGGS Chrysler Plymouth in class SS/DA. I recently stumbled across this car over at member @R413`s thread 1966 Plymouths in action chasing the wind

I did a litte www-research and sadly found an orbituary of the gentleman that I am sure is exact the same Gerald GEARY, because in the comments you find that exact same photo posted by a Mr. Dave Huber: Gerald Geary Obituary (2014) - Louisville, KY - Courier-Journal

As by reading the comments to the orbituary, he was heavily involved into dragracing and in 2000 he was inducted to the Kentuckiana Drag Racers Hall of Fame. So surely a loss to the sport & hobby.

Unfortunately his son, Gerald Geary JR. Also has passed away: Gerald Geary Obituary (1963 - 2019) - Louisville, KY - Courier-Journal

Anybody knows more about Mr. Geary Sr.`s 66 Belvedere I Hemi? The car-picture must have been taken at least in late 1969 or the very early 1970`s, as you can see a Dodge Challenger on the far-lane which is - best of my knowledge - the newest car in that photo.

RL21H6_Gerald GEARY_approx 1970.jpeg

Gerald GEARY SR.jpg

Last edited:
And I discovered hopefully 1 new car:

Added as #54 „unknown31“ in my list is a beige (XX1) car of Gerald GEARY of Louisville, KY running under sponsorship of RIGGS Chrysler Plymouth in class SS/DA. I recently stumbled across this car over at member @R413`s thread 1966 Plymouths in action chasing the wind

I did a litte www-research and sadly found an orbituary of the gentleman that I am sure is exact the same Gerald GEARY, because in the comments you find that exact same photo posted by a Mr. Dave Huber: Gerald Geary Obituary (2014) - Louisville, KY - Courier-Journal

As by reading the comments to the orbituary, he was heavily involved into dragracing and in 2000 he was inducted to the Kentuckiana Drag Racers Hall of Fame. So surely a loss to the sport & hobby.

Unfortunately his son, Gerald Geary JR. Also has passed away: Gerald Geary Obituary (1963 - 2019) - Louisville, KY - Courier-Journal

Anybody knows more about Mr. Geary Sr.`s 66 Belvedere I Hemi? The car-picture must have been taken at least in late 1969 or the very early 1970`s, as you can see a Dodge Challenger on the far-lane which is - best of my knowledge - the newest car in that photo.

View attachment 1394724

View attachment 1394725
Enjoying the thread Tobias.

FWIW , ‘Flat hood‘ Street Hemis ran SS/D in 1971.

Here’s some class breakdown history...its a little confusing.

1967 ALL Street Hemis inc O23 cars ran SS/B in 67, after being re-factored to 480hp by the NHRA. for 67, GTXs and O23 cars could both run the cold air hood - NHRA didn’t clue in on this till after the 68 Winters.

1968 - The O23s ran SS/C, flat hood cars ran SS/D - However 68 Winters, Sox ran a scooped GTX in SS/D b4 the NHRA ruling.

1969 - The weight breaks shifted, plummeting all O23s to SS/E and flat hood cars to SS/F.

1970 saw the O23s move up to SS/D, flat hood cars to SS/E.

1971 - They all moved up another class, putting 66 Street Hemis in SS/D.

I also see you found my captioned pics on my website - I’m expanding on 1966 as I type.

1966 – A very ‘Funny’ year for the fans…

Woild you have a pic of Howard Colby’s car, it’s one of the holes I’m trying to plug!

The #9 car on the list (RL21H67229127) is currently for sale. Does anyone have any history on this car. The seller has no documentation. Thank you!

Enjoying the thread Tobias.

I also see you found my captioned pics on my website - I’m expanding on 1966 as I type.

1966 – A very ‘Funny’ year for the fans…

Woild you have a pic of Howard Colby’s car, it’s one of the holes I’m trying to plug!

@Red Baron: Thanks for contributing infos on the 71 classes, Mal!

Yes, your website is a wealth of information and I highly recommend visiting your website to anyone interested in a "blast from the past of racing".

Meanwhile had a chance to re-visit it again and the further updates you mentioned are also great!

On your request on Howard Colby`s car (#29 on my list) I am unfortunately lacking of a photo, too. Would have liked to help you out, Sir! My source for that car is Jim Schild`s Book "Maximum Performance", page 111...maybe this is of any help to you?

@all: I am pleased to have 1 small update regarding my list. Though I did not find any new car to add, but at least I could identify 1 car as a clone/replica, it`s #59 on my list, so 1 less car countable, but list-quality improved!

BTW: that #59-clone-car is really nicely done, thus more a replica than a clown-car. It had a big feature on MOTORTREND in 2022 when met at a carshow in KY including a nice video and my photos. Here is the link: Hemi Be Thy Name: A 1966 Plymouth Belvedere Street Hemi Is a Tribute to Jere Stahl

I owned and sold that car. Nobody wanted it. I gave it away. It's the only car I lost money on, let alone being a hemi car....in decades.

Great info, thanks @mmissile ! Sometimes one wins, sometimes one looses...but very unusual to loose on a Hemi-car, in so far I agree with you.

May I ask which year you sold it, for what approx. price it went, what the condition was at that time and to which state it went?

If you have photos to share of that car, please do so, thanks! :popcorn:

Auto Transport Service
Back