• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Belvedere I 426 HEMI`s: let`s track them down!

What I have seen is anything of Gen II hemi build is pounced on. Thus interests in Gen I builds like that of 66-67 Belvedere and Charger is climbing fast to near Gen II platforms like GTX/RoadRunner, Charger/Superbee. Ect. Even Gen III (1971) hemi cars are getting a lot of love.

In closing. I don't believe we need to start any "Hunt." The hunt is already on. And has been for years.

You probably have these from 1990 NHOA list. 2nd pic owners at the time, top pic 2 is top of pic 1.
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG

I still have my RL21.......B6 and probably will never ever have an H code. First time I went to the old Houston track, there was a RL21x6 out there and it attracted me like glue. It did have a Hemi in it. We already had a 4 door 66 Belvedere II that I ended up owning later on but had no idea a 2dr post was made until that day at the track and thought I would have one someday. Just didn't see them on the street at all. Found a post car on a car lot when I was 17 but the car dealer treated me like I was 10 years old and I walked away. It wasn't until 1988 that I found the one I have.

You probably have these from 1990 NHOA list. 2nd pic owners at the time, top pic 2 is top of pic 1.

Thanks @Fran Blacker . Yes, I indeed had an excerpt of that 90 NHOA-list, but thanks to your pics of that I was able to tie down one more car to a VIN#. Excellent!

Is there a more recent list of NHOA available anywhere?

I still have my RL21.......B6 and probably will never ever have an H code. First time I went to the old Houston track, there was a RL21x6 out there and it attracted me like glue. It did have a Hemi in it. We already had a 4 door 66 Belvedere II that I ended up owning later on but had no idea a 2dr post was made until that day at the track and thought I would have one someday. Just didn't see them on the street at all. Found a post car on a car lot when I was 17 but the car dealer treated me like I was 10 years old and I walked away. It wasn't until 1988 that I found the one I have.

No need to hide with a RL21B @Cranky

@all: I am pleased to have 1 small update regarding my list. Though I did not find any new car to add, but at least I could identify 1 car as a clone/replica, it`s #59 on my list, so 1 less car countable, but list-quality improved!

BTW: that #59-clone-car is really nicely done, thus more a replica than a clown-car. It had a big feature on MOTORTREND in 2022 when met at a carshow in KY including a nice video and my photos. Here is the link: Hemi Be Thy Name: A 1966 Plymouth Belvedere Street Hemi Is a Tribute to Jere Stahl

As I cannot edit that post anymore: correction in so far, that the clone-car was NOT #59 on my list, but #58.

BTW: we are up to 57 countable cars, of which 35 could be identified by VIN.

Let me thank so far all members of fbbo.com and moparts.org for their help! Nonetheless, hoping to find/identify more cars.

F136401D-EFCB-440A-B4C1-D8D512F5B892.jpeg682B5EF0-F3E6-42E1-863E-0EBC6C8DD00B.jpeg21616123-4832-4A72-BEA9-1629E5785D16.jpeg786E1549-C911-498B-BC99-E69AE227E526.jpeg

Thanks to the guys over @moparts.org I am happy to give you an update:

- we`re up 3 cars from 57 to now 60 countable cars!

=> 1st new car in my list ("unknown34") was recently offered in Canada on kijiji & FB...a originally dark-red-metallic automatic car, that was used as a race car and re-painted in a medium blue, that it still wears today, no engine, no trans. Unfortunately seller did not reveal the VIN# though I asked him for. If someone knows the car and has the VIN, please provide it, thanks.

=> 2nd new car in my list ("unknown36") is a black or dark-blue-metallic car, also automatic, also used as a drag-car, photo supplied was "no to good quality", car is claimed to be from the MI-area with only 6k miles, do not know from when the photo supplied was taken, but I`d gues 70`s or 80`s. It is NOT the black/red car that went through mecum (that was an early "HP2"-car and other things differ plus history of these 2 cars would not match either).

=> 3rd new car in my list ("inknown37") is even more of "ghost"-car. No, not of such "ghost"-qualities, UTG@youtube talked about recently, but it is also a car without VIN. Additionally differing from the other 2 cars mentioned before, this one is even without a photo, so only described out of memory by one supporting moparts-member.

- list-quality could also be improved (1 listed car now has VIN#, 1 car I hoped to add as a 4th new to the list car revealed as a car already listed).

Database RL21H6_20230526a.jpg
Database RL21H6_20230526b.jpg
Database RL21H6_20230526c.jpg
Database RL21H6_20230526d.jpg

Photo of "unknown34", offered in May 2023 at kijiji.ca and FB by Daniel Leclerc:

unknown34 kijiji-ca 05-2023.png

Photo of "unknown36", from the MI-area, drag-racer, claimed to be only 6k mls, later "426-HEMI"-badged car, either black or dark-blue-met.

unknown36 michigan race-car 6k miles auto non-hp2.jpeg

Thanks for your appreciation @Big bill

Having nearly half of all produced cars in my list is quite satisfying to me.

The more cars listed&tied down to VIN#, the more people can be protected of being scammed.

Here is another 66 RL21 to add to your list. I have owned this car twice - once from late 1983 - early 1990 (bought off used car lot! ), and late 2018 to present. Unfortunately not orig engine; there is history concerning that, although not completely verified. I will post that another time. Car has under 40,000 miles.
Since there is an amazing amount of knowledge within this group, I hope I will be able to get some answers and help, especially engine related.
Original EE1 ext (was repainted sometime in 1990's); original L1B interior.
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2093.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another 66 RL21 to add to your list. I have owned this car twice - once from late 1983 - early 1990 (bought off used car lot! ), and late 2018 to present. Unfortunately not orig engine; there is history concerning that, although not completely verified. I will post that another time. Car has under 40,000 miles.
Since there is an amazing amount of knowledge within this group, I hope I will be able to get some answers and help, especially engine related.
Original EE1 ext (was repainted sometime in 1990's); original L1B interior.View attachment 1483748View attachment 1483749View attachment 1483750

Awesome, thanks for contributing @66 Belvedere I !

Though I gues you car is not on my list yet, would you mind sharing the full VIN and fendertag? If prefered, I will keep some digits blanked in my list afterwards.

But as purpose of my quest is to safe anybody from a faked car, I would much appreciate if you support that route.

EDIT: what’s the small emblem on front of the fender? It’s not HP2, as you got the 426Hemi emblem on lower rear of the fender.

Also: your car is a different one than the #8-car of my list? Thats one of the johnscotti-cars and quite a twin (also EE1 darkblue-met paint / L1B blue int. / 4spd trans and VIN also starts with RL21H611).

Last edited:
Original EE1 ext (was repainted sometime in 1990's); original L1B interior.View attachment 1483748View attachment 1483749View attachment 1483750

Did I spot this correctly @66 Belvedere I : radio- and heater-delete?

Your car looks awesome! Also nice shoes: Magnum500‘s & redlines…yummy!

Auto Transport Service
Back