• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth belvedere quarter panel extension gasket painted

VFilms

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
After body and paint, I'm starting to reassemble my '66 Belvedere. Just wondering if the gasket between the quarter and quarter panel extension (pic attached) is painted body color or left in it's original black. As there is no color on my original gaskets I'm guessing... black.
Thanks

gasket.jpg

I have heard other members say that originally there were no gaskets installed from the factory,
but I can't swear by that! I have cut mine back a little with scizzors so they don't stick out and
look so obvious.

I know my 66,67 plymouths never had those.

The 66 and 67's I have taken apart always had them. I have compared originals to the new ones and I assumed the slightly smaller originals just shrunk slightly with age. The big thing I see here is that after I trim the car out with color, I hang the doors, hood, trunk and those quarter extensions for the paint work.

It is installed before paint at the factory. They don’t get paint on them.

Here is a photo of an end piece from a right side quarter. See where there is a paint outline of the quarter extension.

Every car I see that’s original has these black gaskets in them.

CEC0883B-E935-488E-8D02-87664ADE1A12.png

It is installed before paint at the factory. They don’t get paint on them.

Here is a photo of an end piece from a right side quarter. See where there is a paint outline of the quarter extension.

Every car I see that’s original has these black gaskets in them.

View attachment 1002035
Thanks to all. This photo may explain why my originals do not have paint on them. Looks like I'll be installing them. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back