• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Satellite rear trunk panel paint accent trim?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Can someone clarify how the trunk panel on the 66 Satellite was trimmed out with paint accents? Pictures of originals would be great. The one on the car I'm going to be working on has been re-anodized but the paint accents were not replaced. Most I see have a red paint in the recess in the top, bottom, and middle of the panel and the end recesses connecting the horizontal areas on the sides. But, I've seen at least one picture of an original that looked like inside the two rectangular sections isolated by the red stripes, the panel was painted with darker argent gray or something. Here is an example:
10425058-1966-plymouth-satellite-thumb-jpg.jpg

But most don't seem to show that.

I've seen some pictures that it looks like the red accent was painted on the sides of the recess right out to the outer surface - making a heavier, thicker looking red section. Here is an example:
Mopar-1966-Plymouth-Satellite-Rear-Deck-Trunk-Lid.jpg

Others just seem to be red on the bottom of the recess making it appear thinner and finer line. Here is an example of the finer accent:
1966-Plymouth-Satellite-Hemi.jpg

Not sure which is correct.

Also, are the red accents just signal red, or a dark red or maroon? Looks like they may have selected a red that was close to the red tail light lenses.

Again, pictures of originals would help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Last picture is correct. First one was taped off and painted, mo. Originals look sprayed but edges aren't crisp, like an air brush. Picture rear of my original piece. Can't see line across bottom because of camera angle.
Clean Satellite 3.jpg

Last edited:
Edited post twice. The last picture and on mine you can't see line on bottom, camera angle.

Thanks - that confirms what I thought was most likely correct. Anything particular about the color - just red-red or dark red?

I'd say it's a dark candy red.
I say Candy too. It is translucent so you can see the aluminum underneath. Mopar did that a lot in the 60's and 70's. Here's my 66 Dart. Same treatment.

074.JPG

Got it - thanks for the help.

One more question - approximately how wide are the stripes of red? I'm guess 3/16 to 1/4"??

If nobody measures by tomorrow I'll do it tomorrow. Close up pic.
Clean Satellite 6.JPG

Fran - is your trunk panel paint original? It matches mine to a tee. Kind of a pinkish/purple after 54 years.

Fran - is your trunk panel paint original? It matches mine to a tee. Kind of a pinkish/purple after 54 years.
Yes it's original. Have a NOS one the red is darker. Did some inventory work in spring, if I remember and pull the sd card and post a picture.

That’s great Fan - thanks.

And another question. Inside the panels, is light argent silver used or is it just a flat aluminum-type paint?

BTT - anyone know on the silver or aluminum paint? Argent or flat aluminum?

I think I might paint mine over the winter it's essentially bare.
IMG_20170729_130411477.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back