• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Belvedere II

TMA1

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently joined the site, and introduced myself and my Belvedere II here (thanks for all the warm welcomes!):

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/belvedere-ii.245258/

I wanted to set up this thread since the car is having some work done. I recently ordered full rear quarters to replace some poor work that was done before buying the car, as well as a new torsion bar crossmember to replace the original rusted piece.

The fender tag is still on the car, and reads as:

CAR: Plymouth Belvedere 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.75 x 14 WSW
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: March 13.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Split Bench Seats. Gray Interior.
PAINT: Dark Blue Metallic (Dodge, Plymouth), Regal Blue Metallic (Chrysler, Imperial).
OTHER: Black (Dodge, Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color. Blue Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y5: Vinyl Top, Unknown Color

abc OPTIONS:
d6: Unknown Option (possibly a rear speaker?)
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j4: Moulding - Body Sill Narrow
m9: delete body side mldg

View attachment 1289572 View attachment 1289573 View attachment 1289574 View attachment 1289575 View attachment 1289576 View attachment 1289577

Last edited:
Photos:

20220525_193512.jpg 20210604_195114.jpg 20220525_201311.jpg 20220525_193419.jpg 20210612_185842.jpg 20210604_194628.jpg 20220511_153617.jpg

The car is a Silver Special and was originally painted EE1 (Dark Blue Metallic), and I intend to repaint the car its original color. The top code is Y5, which in every decoder I've used has come up as "unknown". Some sleuthing in other forums and threads indicates it's a silver top. Some photos of these supposed silver tops I've seen online appear to be just a very dark gray. The two Silver Specials below were advertised for a sale with a silver top, which, like I said, just appears to be a very dark gray.

On the advice of one forum member, I did reach out to SMS Auto Fabrics. They sent me 3 swatches: both boar and Levant grain in black, as well as a silver which appears similar to the "Silver Cast" color of the interior seat material. Does anyone know how close that looks to an original Y5 top?

1967-plymouth-belvedere-ii-034silver-special034-pristine-3.jpg 48711359-886-1967-Plymouth.jpg 20220525_200817.jpg

Silver Special cars deleted the normal Belvedere II trim on the fender and door tops (M9) and replaced it with wheel well and sill moldings seen on the GTX. Two friends of mine have owned 1967 Silver Special Belvederes. The one friend ordered reproduction seat covers and vinyl top from Legendary Interiors many years ago. That swatch from SMS looks as I remember it. Kind of charcoal with silver in the bottom of the grain. There was usually a hand written note denoting "silver special" on the build sheet.

As in the other OP thread- my 4 door silver special has "SILVER SPL" printed or stamped in ink in the margin of the broadcast sheet, not hand written.

The 2nd picture looks like my car b4 I purchased it and changed the wheels

10298.jpg

Silver Special cars deleted the normal Belvedere II trim on the fender and door tops (M9) and replaced it with wheel well and sill moldings seen on the GTX. Two friends of mine have owned 1967 Silver Special Belvederes. The one friend ordered reproduction seat covers and vinyl top from Legendary Interiors many years ago. That swatch from SMS looks as I remember it. Kind of charcoal with silver in the bottom of the grain. There was usually a hand written note denoting "silver special" on the build sheet.

Yes, I have those moldings. Not in the best condition, but they'll go back on the car when it's ready. I'll have to check when I drop off some parts next week. I didn't see the buildsheet, but I haven't taken the back seat apart. In my Charger, I think it was on the bottom of rear seat. It does have the "H4A" code on the fender tag, which indicates the Silver Special interior.

My top is black. Much different look than from a few years ago

0803212042_HDR.jpg

My top is black. Much different look than from a few years ago

View attachment 1291214
Looks good. I'll probably do the same. Is that the boar grain or Levant? I know they switched at some point in the year, though the advertisements I've seen always listed the Silver Special cars as having a "specially textured" top.

Auto Transport Service
Back