• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Charger - Instrument Gauge Bezel- White Wire Connection

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
Yesterday I was installing my new dash bezel/instrument panel and I couldn't find the male connector for the white wire coming out of the speedometer, see attached photos.

I have attached the Instrument Panel wiring diagram and highlighted the white wire, which goes to the Electroluminescent lighting. I must have disconnected when I removed it a few weeks ago.

Anyone ever run into the same problem?

white wire on dash cluster.JPG gauge cluster white wire.JPG Wiring diagram Instrument panel Charger.jpg

Brake light switch. There should be an orange and or a pink wire for the other side of it too. I just can't remember the color right this second.

67ChargerB.JPG

Last edited:
@Dean Prevolos never had this happen, keep looking. Might have to take it apart and find the connection point, then install cluster.

@Beep Beep Dave
The white wires with the red plastic insulator are for the electroluminescent dash lighting. It is to alert you of the high AC on those wires.

Yes the brake light switch wire from the switch to the column wiring is also white but it won’t have red connectors on it. Different circuit.

@Dean Prevolos never had this happen, keep looking. Might have to take it apart and find the connection point, then install cluster.

@Beep Beep Dave
The white wires with the red plastic insulator are for the electroluminescent dash lighting. It is to alert you of the high AC on those wires.

Yes the brake light switch wire from the switch to the column wiring is also white but it won’t have red connectors on it. Different circuit.
Good to know. Haven't messed with a charger.. I now have a new wrinkle on my brain.

1966-1967 Charger and 1960-1962 Chrysler’s and Imperials also.
If you see a clock, radio or a console shift indicator with the white wire with red connector now you know what it’s for.

@Beep Beep Dave

I'll get under the dash next weekend and take another look. I'm sure I'll find it. Thanks.

you are looking for two white wires going into a single red connector
Follow the green turn signal wires down to the harness bundle
the white wires exit the tape there

close up gauge wiring.jpg

Last edited:
you are looking for two white wires going into a single red connector
Follow the green turn signal wires down to the harness bundle
the white wires exit the tape there

View attachment 1248169
That's perfect, thank you. I have circled the connecting wire I was looking for. I never did get back to it but I do so this weekend. Many than
white wire connectionclose up gauge wiring.jpg
ks!

I never got back to you or the Forum but I did find this connection and plugged it in. I am still having a problem with the gauges and the electroluminscent lights. Started another post Sunday. I still have three wires not connected. It may be that the prior 5 Owners may have tried to fix and just gave up with some of the wiring missing. I have one red male wire coming out of the wire loom behind the gauges, may be the rpm gauge that needs to be connected, also have one grey male wire under the govebox that has power with the engine off and I have one white/red male that is from the electroluminescent power but haven't figured where it goes. I have had a suggestion that it may be for the glovebox, which I need to research this weekend. But the GREY male lead has to connect to something that needs power constantly, otherwise why would it be a hot wire. Or it is wired wrong and should be off when the car is off.

Grey Male double red wire.jpg

White red and grey double red wire closeup.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back