• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet Engine Stamp

PushBackJack

Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a 1967 Coronet R/T that came with a 440 block which was thought to be original. However, the stamping doesn’t have “HP” on the block. It does have C440 w/ Maltese Cross and below it is 1 1 (see pics). Is the 1 1 indicating Jan 1st or just November? Thanks for the help.

BC54EEF3-E210-4DC0-91F5-B8C8A5B6FE9D.jpeg 330275E0-D274-46FC-ACC6-5A184750596C.jpeg

What’s the date code on the block? Casting date?

the C440 looks legit. Who knows what the 1 1 is. I can’t imagine the unions worked on New Years. Maybe. I’ve seen 3 67 440s from R/Ts and all had HP stamps. Two early builds in Oct 66.

I believe the Maltese Cross indicates it is a warranty replacement block/engine. I also could be mistaken but I had the exact same Maltese Cross on my 66 383 block/engine in my 66 Chrysler 300 that I used to have. I also recall that it also indicates over sized pistons and rings, etc. Try the site MYMOPAR.com and search their reference page for casting numbers...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

my 68 GTX, born on 10/24/67; appeared to be untouched in 85 when I bought it......... I was unaware of the details back then, and probably didn't care......years later I realized it had the correct D440 but no HP with a May assembly date and no partial vin on the block......so I just assume it is an early warranty replacement by the dealer

Last edited:
A non HP 440 in 67 was probably a C body engine. The Maltese cross, I thought meant oversize or undersize internals of some sort, but I believe it is spelled out in the service manual. The other option is that a mistake was made on the stamping at assembly.

The maltese cross means undersize crankshaft. The 11 is in the spot where they put the date, and the format is month day. As stated it is hard to imagine the plant being open on New Years day. Maybe the person was still hungover when he-she came to work the next day, and just grabbed one stamp instead of two. There should be an HP on that pad.

Auto Transport Service
Back