• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Plymouth GTX column issue/rebuilding ?

cmkryzer

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Prior owner popped the pin on the column shifter and pull out the shift arm and put a B&M shifter on the floor. Now I wanna go back to the column shift, I have the lever but cant get he spring popped down to get the lever back in it. Anyone have any ideas to get it back in easily?
Or does anyone now of a video of rebuilding the column of a 66 or 67 Plymouth that can help a guy out ?

You will probably have to strip the column down to the TS switch area to gain access.
Mike

You will probably have to strip the column down to the TS switch area to gain access.
Mike
I am trying that too, but cant get past the bearing. I am not sure if the bearing is froze on the steering shaft as it is not coming off.
I sprayed some PB blaster last night, so will see how it goes today ..

That bearing is tight and pressed on. The service manual shows a puller to get it off. Be careful you don’t collapse the column.

I believe the shifter parts all go in from the outside.
Only thing inside is the tube.

A 1966 column looks entirely different and is not a collapsing one like 67 so the shifter and parts may not work the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back