• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Satellite radio removal

Vanderstel

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I crawled under the dash and the radio looks like a tight squeeze. There is an aftermarket audiovox radio in there now, not working, I wanted to check the wiring to figure why, but there's not much room back there. I want to eventually go to a new retro unit.

What is involved in taking the radio out? The car has factory AC, don't know if that matters.

Go to My Mopar and get yourself a Service Manual. They are great to have.

From the Service Manual:

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.38.12 PM.png

I have a '67 Belvedere with factory air. It will be easiest if you remove the AC duct that goes between the heater box and the center dash vent. If you remove the glove compartment liner, you can gain access through the glove compartment opening to remove that piece of ductwork. Also, replacing the factory speaker with a dual cone aftermarket speaker is easiest through the glove box opening. From there, the radio should slide out and down from behind the dash. I went with one of those Retrosound units. That unit has blue tooth for music streaming through my phone and hands free calling and 2 USB connections for phone charging. Also, it accepts the factory bezel and knobs. From the outside, it looks factory, (except for the digital display. Now the Retrosound unit is a little longer than the factory radio, so there is not enough room for the factory AC duct work. However the Retrosound unit is kind of "modular". I mounted only the display and knob controls in the factory radio location. I mounted the actual deck itself behind the dash under the glove compartment liner. Retrosound sells a longer piece of wiring to connect the deck to the display and controls. I would also recommend going with a subwoofer under the front seat for a little more depth.

20200424_184646.jpg

I think I got mine from Crutchfield.com. They were a little bit cheaper than Classic Industries and Retro Manufacturing. I have two 6x9's in the back, a dual cone speaker in the factory dash location, (it is actually 2 speakers in one frame to mount in the factory location), and a subwoofer under the front seat. The USB bracket that you see under my dash in the photo is also available from Crutchfield. If you decide to go with RetroSound, I think you want the "Redondo" model. The preset pushbuttons on the Redondo are separate from the display window which is necessary to fit your '67 dash. The display window, knobs, and preset buttons are all separate and need to be assembled with the brackets that they supply. So, dimensionally, it is infinitely adjustable. They do that so the one model will basically fit any car. It took some trial and error to get the knobs, pushbuttons and display window to be in the correct location with respect to one another, but I am very happy with the results.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back