• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 383HP motor and trans

the 330 Horse power four barrel was available an option though, same engine as in charger or sport satellite.
I owned a 68 Chrysler wagon with the 330HP version back in 1976
Unless the cam specs are different, and I don’t think they are. I believe they just “gifted” the road runner 383 five extra HP.

Unless the cam specs are different, and I don’t think they are. I believe they just “gifted” the road runner 383 five extra HP.
My understanding is 330 hp 4 barrel cam was same as 290hp 2barrel cam. 383/335Hp cam was same as 440/375hp cam

My understanding is 330 hp 4 barrel cam was same as 290hp 2barrel cam. 383/335Hp cam was same as 440/375hp cam
True. 383-2, 383-4 330 horse and 350 horse 440 used the same cam.

383 HP and 440 HP used the same cam

68_Camshafts_600.jpg

The engine came from a C-body - no 335 hp cam ever came in those cars.
And the AC would've relegated it to 330hp in B-E body anyway.

The driverside HP manifold will not be correct for B-E body, but maybe it fits anyway? The rear-dump B-E HP manifold seems to fit some C-body installations.

The torque converter might be a higher-stall unit, C-codies used them with the 383-4 engine, although I don't know what year that started. I presume it began with 68's introduction of the Roadrunner?

IMO, value on the engine is based more on the dress-up parts, as the engine needs rebuilt , so being HP-spec is immaterial.
If it were a runner, IMO a 383-4 is worth a bit more than a 383-2 - although it depends on what the local market will bear.

The engine came from a C-body - no 335 hp cam ever came in those cars.
And the AC would've relegated it to 330hp in B-E body anyway.

Thanks.

Applications change year to year.

There is no 383-4 335 horse HP A/C assembly for '68 or '69 but there is for the 1970 MY.

A 1970 B or E body could have received an orange 335 horse a/c assembly.

Thanks.

Applications change year to year.

There is no 383-4 335 horse HP A/C assembly for '68 or '69 but there is for the 1970 MY.

A 1970 B or E body could have received an orange 335 horse a/c assembly.
That's why I was saying it may have HP parts but not actually stamped as a HP motor. So technically it is a '68 383HP but not on paper or stamped as one.

they were 10.0 compression engines,and had the HP Intake, although the carbs were low performance.(LP) They also have a 1900-2350 stall torque converter, and seven clutches (4-3) in the transmission VS six in the two barrel transmission, which is why the part numbers for both are different.

Also, the exhaust manifolds are the same as the 440 Magnum engine. If the eight digit vin is on the block, then it has the same" H" engine code designation on the title as the 335hp. it is markedly different then the 9.2 engine.
The HP code on the 335HP engine model was made to differentiate the roadrunner and Super Bee from the other models to increase interest. The chrysler techs were baffled when the High lift cam and windage tray added only 5 horsepower.

With the HP cam in the 330 HP you in reality have the 335hp engine.my engine came with the double row timing chain and windage tray as well.and it was an OEM engine from a totalled 68 Sport satellite.

I have a 69 coronet two barrel version(290) and a 330hp version, and the 330hp definitely has plenty of pull, minus 5 hp. No comparison between the two engines.
also, that 330hp engine is the same engine that is in the383 69 Cuda and Dart GTS

This Information and more on this subject can be found on the allpar site as well.

Last edited:
they were 10.0 compression engines,and had the HP Intake, although the carbs were low performance.(LP) They also have a 1900-2350 stall torque converter, and seven clutches (4-3) in the transmission VS six in the two barrel transmission, which is why the part numbers for both are different.

Also, the exhaust manifolds are the same as the 440 Magnum engine. If the eight digit vin is on the block, then it has the same" H" engine code designation on the title as the 335hp. it is markedly different then the 9.2 engine.
The HP code on the 335HP engine model was made to differentiate the roadrunner and Super Bee from the other models to increase interest. The chrysler techs were baffled when the High lift cam and windage tray added only 5 horsepower.

With the HP cam in the 330 HP you in reality have the 335hp engine.my engine came with the double row timing chain and windage tray as well.and it was an OEM engine from a totalled 68 Sport satellite.

I have a 69 coronet two barrel version(290) and a 330hp version, and the 330hp definitely has plenty of pull, minus 5 hp. No comparison between the two engines.
also, that 330hp engine is the same engine that is in the383 69 Cuda and Dart GTS

This Information and more on this subject can be found on the allpar site as well.

Mopar used a lot of the same parts already in the bin to mix and match. There are very little 383-4bbl 335 horse specific parts.

There are 383-2bbl and 4bbl intakes. There are no HP intakes specific to the 335 horse application.

Specific applications vary but there are 383-2bbl and 383-4bbl exhaust manifolds. The '68 383-4 used the same exhaust manifolds as the 440-4bbl HP whether they were 330 or 335 horse. There are no 383 HP 335 horse specifc exhaust manifolds.

Carbs are carbs. Specific applications apply, but there are no HP or non HP carb per se. The car application depended more on the transmission and a/c or not and the combo. The 335 horse applications used Carters in '68 and '69 but, again, depending on the application, used Holley's in '70 contingent on other factors such as forced air N96, emissions requirements N95, etc.

There are automatic transmissions specific to HP applications or other heavy duty uses.

I've never seen any documents showing Chrysler engineers were baffled. I'm pretty sure they could have would have tweaked the combos or fudged numbers to designate which horsepower numbers they wanted to use. (it was pretty standard to tweak horsepower numbers down at that point).

I personally put this issue on internal and external sales and marketing. I think one also needs to compare the ratings to similar other brand offerings such as the Chevy 396, Ford 390, Olds and Buick 400s. Mopar comes in at the smallest CID but right in the thick of the HP rankings. "Yes. The 383 Road Runner is smaller than the 396/390/400 but hangs right there with horsepower. We've gotten more out of less. The 383 is more efficient. Think about how you can wake up this engine even more with some day two parts."

The A body 383-4 assembly is the same internally as the 335 horse B body assembly. It is not the same assembly as the 330 horse B and C body assembly. 1968 A body 383-4s were down rated to 300 horse due to the more restrictive exhaust manifolds.

Allpar has a lot of info. Trust but verify.

68_383-4_ALL_68_Dodge.jpg

68_Exhaust_Manifolds_edit.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back