• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 440 HP block what are they worth

Tristans68

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody have a clue how much a 1968 440 HP block would be worth? Right now it is just a stripped block, but i believe it has the crank and heads that belong to the motor. Would it perhaps be worth the investment to build the motor back up and sell it that way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

HP block

The pad should have a stamp that reads: D440 HP . D=1968, What is the casting date on the side of the block?

I was told the block was a 1968 HP block, so i am assuming that's what the stamp says. The block is part of the deal for a 68 Charger (318 car) that i am buying. I have no use for the 440 so i'm planning on selling it. Any idea what it might be worth?

It all depends on what someone is willing to pay i personally think some people ask to much but its there right to get what they want but as for me i have never ever paid over 200.00 for a block in good shape now its still needs machine work and so on but thats it.. I have a great Honey hole here in Tn i will never give out the location i know of a 440 & the other a 400 complete still in the cars air cleaner to oil pan i can get both for under 500.00 which i am going to purchase after the first of the year.

If its standard bore and in good shape hell Id give $200 for it no problem

If it is/has:
1. HP block
2. Heads, crank, main caps (you mentioned: "but i believe it has the crank and heads that belong to the motor".
3. any other engine parts???
4. Is it rebuildable???
At this point, you do not really know anything about the engine as you were actually "told" about it.
Find out more objective info and let us know. If the engine is an HP with good rebuildable parts, it's worth $500.00. If it meets all the above criteria and you want to sell it for 100 bucks, I will buy it and I will feel bad that I just scammed you out of some hard cash!!

Damn... i paid $1200 for the RV 440 and 727 that i have in my Charger. It seems like a '68 HP 440 isn't any more valuable than a 70-something RV/truck 440?

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome aboard and thanks for joining the Forum BTW

Thank you!

the dates are important to someone building a date correct 68 gtx or r/t...... it would obviously be worth more to that person

the dates are important to someone building a date correct 68 gtx or r/t...... it would obviously be worth more to that person

Ok, thanks. Am i correct in thinking that the HP motors came with a forged crank?

yes... but i think all 440s those years have forged cranks....... blocks and cranks are pretty much dime a dozen

i have a 68 gtx built oct 27..... original motor gone...... id pay extra for a 440 with D440 and a date just prior to 10 27 stamped on the pad "D440 HP 10 12" would be about perfect

yes... but i think all 440s those years have forged cranks....... blocks and cranks are pretty much dime a dozen

i have a 68 gtx built oct 27..... original motor gone...... id pay extra for a 440 with D440 and a date just prior to 10 27 stamped on the pad "D440 HP 10 12" would be about perfect

I don't have the block in my possession right now, but when i pick the block up i will update the thread with the full codes.

Moved from for the sale forum. If you decide to sell it put an ad up with a price.

Ads are not for discussion

Tristan,
I live in florida and I'll buy your 440 if its in good shape. Give me a price. Thanks Joe

Tristan,
I live in florida and I'll buy your 440 if its in good shape. Give me a price. Thanks Joe

Hey, sorry for the delayed response. I have decided to keep the motor for my own car, but if you are in the Orlando area, there's a good Mopar oriented shop called Bolt Restorations: http://boltrestorations.com/ He has a bunch of HP 440's that he can sell you.

Damn... i paid $1200 for the RV 440 and 727 that i have in my Charger. It seems like a '68 HP 440 isn't any more valuable than a 70-something RV/truck 440?

I paid $200 for a 72 HP engine and 727 that needed some work done in the crank, but it came with black MP valve covers, a Mallory ignition system, mini-starter, and headers.

I know a guy who's looking for an HP 68 and 69 blocks if you're near Jacksonville.

Auto Transport Service
Back