• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 - 69 -70 rear window stainless trim , clips

Yes I had the same problem bought new clips from parts mix off ebay they did not hook as the ones I took off. ,missing little tit or nub whatever you want to call it ,mixed old with new used them ever other clip good luck
So, the question still remains. Evidently for a lot of other folks. Where do we get clips that will work well???.....................MO

My rear window is installed, and now I can't get the clip screws out because the edge of the window block them. I am trying to figure a temporary way to get the bottom trim to stay in place till next Winter --take the window out again. The top and side trim is staying on alright because they didn't need the clips replaced. Maybe some kind of double stick foam tape, or blobs of dum-dum? Any idea's?.....................MO

I ran into the same problem, Mo. Previous owner had reinstalled the rear window before the old rotten clips were replaced.
Nightmare to replace them with the glass in the way and wound up having to "improvise", since so many of the original little nubs the clips snapped onto have been ground off in the body repair phase before me.
Clips I bought suck also.

I echo Mo here - who sells the correct ones?

I ran into the same problem, Mo. Previous owner had reinstalled the rear window before the old rotten clips were replaced.
Nightmare to replace them with the glass in the way and wound up having to "improvise", since so many of the original little nubs the clips snapped onto have been ground off in the body repair phase before me.
Clips I bought suck also.

I echo Mo here - who sells the correct ones?
What did you do to improvise?
Today, my upholstery guy tells me his experience is that the factory rear window clips , are one year only 1968. And that he has a few that were left over from another customer. That customer provided the clips. I will keep checking into this...........................MO

The rear window used the same clip for all three years, 68 through 70. The front lower clips on the early 68 year model cars were the 66-67 variety and is what he may be thinking of as a 68 issue. Many owners and vendors are not aware of this fact on the early 68 cars. For the rear clips, I have only seen the one variety. For the front windshield, there is at least four different clips that have been used. We have been buying up NOS clips for over 30 years and for the most part, the same clip part number from one manufacture to another is the same clip profile.

The problem is that we are to the point that some of these cars are going through there second or third restoration and so what we see on a car now may not be actually what should be on the car originally. So if the back or front glass has been out of the car before, I would say that there is a very good chance that the clips that were used are very possibly not correct. I know that when we initially started reproducing the clips, they were made off of documented NOS samples that I had accumulated.

Another concern is that if you have removed a rear glass or it's trim, there is basically a firm setting film that used around the perimeter of the glass and trim. This cement in addition to sealing the glass, also helped in holding the stainless trim in place. Now this trim which has been on and off of the car two or more times is getting tweaked and no longer fits the body line as it did originally. I strongly suggest that prior to final paint, that the glass with the trim clips and trim is mocked up to avoid any issues.

The rear window used the same clip for all three years, 68 through 70. The front lower clips on the early 68 year model cars were the 66-67 variety and is what he may be thinking of as a 68 issue. Many owners and vendors are not aware of this fact on the early 68 cars. For the rear clips, I have only seen the one variety. For the front windshield, there is at least four different clips that have been used. We have been buying up NOS clips for over 30 years and for the most part, the same clip part number from one manufacture to another is the same clip profile.

The problem is that we are to the point that some of these cars are going through there second or third restoration and so what we see on a car now may not be actually what should be on the car originally. So if the back or front glass has been out of the car before, I would say that there is a very good chance that the clips that were used are very possibly not correct. I know that when we initially started reproducing the clips, they were made off of documented NOS samples that I had accumulated.

Another concern is that if you have removed a rear glass or it's trim, there is basically a firm setting film that used around the perimeter of the glass and trim. This cement in addition to sealing the glass, also helped in holding the stainless trim in place. Now this trim which has been on and off of the car two or more times is getting tweaked and no longer fits the body line as it did originally. I strongly suggest that prior to final paint, that the glass with the trim clips and trim is mocked up to avoid any issues.
That's the way I understood it. So many of us are having the same problem, maybe things done earlier is causing problems now. P. poor design in my opinion. How about you doing an installation video using the clips you sell? .....................MO

I wish I had the time. Hard to believe, but as I type this, I am preparing for the Mopar Nats and it is three months away. I will attempt to pull some samples on Wednesday and post pictures of the NOS clips and the reproductions.

Today, my upholstery guy tells me his experience is that the factory rear window clips , are one year only 1968. And that he has a few that were left over from another customer. That customer provided the clips. I will keep checking into this...........................MO
Let's just say I ruined some trim. :(
Oh well, the trim I have isn't the best anyways.
Don't try this at home, kids....
I was able to carefully take a small drill bit and drill down at the angle the glass allowed to anchor some of the clips,
but that put the original clips too low really so the trim sits too low there.
This didn't work in the corners, especially the lower corners though, as you might expect.
The corners, where the vertical and horizontal trim meet and overlap, are currently held in place by a couple tiny stainless
screws.
Yeah, I know. Yuck.

Let's just say I ruined some trim. :(
Oh well, the trim I have isn't the best anyways.
Don't try this at home, kids....
I was able to carefully take a small drill bit and drill down at the angle the glass allowed to anchor some of the clips,
but that put the original clips too low really so the trim sits too low there.
This didn't work in the corners, especially the lower corners though, as you might expect.
The corners, where the vertical and horizontal trim meet and overlap, are currently held in place by a couple tiny stainless
screws.
Yeah, I know. Yuck.
If my trim wasn't freshly polished, I might consider that. I found some new information today.................MO

OK. My guy brought me some of the clips he was talking about. They look different from the clips that are claimed to be " reproductions" They are not as tall and so do not need the tops to be ground off. They seem to be thinner and harder spring metal. They have a little "tit" that grips the edge of the trim , and does not slip off. I tried it by hooking it to a spare piece of trim I had. MUCH better. They were in a Mopar labeled plastic bag and had part number FWMC 042 written ( not printed) on it. Unknown if it is actual Mopar part number. I have tried to google search that number with no success. I am not good at searching. They worked well for the guy that originally purchased them. .............................MO

69 Roadrunner. I have two clips at the top of the rear windshield that aren't holding. Without removing the rear windshield, is there a way to remove the 2 old clips and install new ones?

69 Roadrunner. I have two clips at the top of the rear windshield that aren't holding. Without removing the rear windshield, is there a way to remove the 2 old clips and install new ones?
Wish there were. All my bottom clips need to be replaced and I can find no way of doing it. If there was only a way to notch the edge of the glass without breaking it, the screws could be removed..............

Auto Transport Service
Back