• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger 6.1, AlterKtion,545RFE trans etc

What Interior??

• Total voters
CHARGER finally off to paint..

Going to be Stryker Pearl Red (2013 Viper)

Attachments

• 20121121_174331_resized.jpg
    20121121_174331_resized.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,174
  • 20121121_174643.jpg
    20121121_174643.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 20121121_174944_resized.jpg
    20121121_174944_resized.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,252
Hows the job seach going? Wish ya the best that's a cool story you got going, my charger build is also a family thing "kinda" my daughter and I. Love everything your doing with, hope to see it finished. P.S I used 2004 dodge stratus leather buckets in mine, they needed very little work to bolt into the original bolt holes and only cost 100.00, the rears out of a new chry 300 on the other hand took alot of work. Good luck

I went with Satin black under the hood, and undercoated the car and interior, this will be a daily driver for me....

I love the rendering .I just wish that the ALTERKATION subframe makes the front wheels stick out so you cannot put on deep dish rims.........

Looking nice skigoose!

- - - Updated - - -

really looking forward to seeing this thing done! great work

yea...me too!!

Looking nice skigoose!

- - - Updated - - -

really looking forward to seeing this thing done! great work

I also can't wait, it has been sitting at paint and body shop since Thanksgiving.

Hey Goose,
Got any pictures of the tunnel and crossmember re-fab? I plan a similar install with a 6.1 in a 68 Charger. I'm interested in any leadership you have

2011-10-21 13.04.27 (2).jpg
Hey Goose,
Got any pictures of the tunnel and crossmember re-fab? I plan a similar install with a 6.1 in a 68 Charger. I'm interested in any leadership you have

I hope the pic uploaded, didn't have to do really anything to the tunnel, just a few taps with the hammer, the cross member was totally custom.

Looks Great! What are you doing for a shifter? I heard the tunnel needed lots of work to fit the 545 but not so huh? I would like to use my factory console and shifter. I want the interior to be as stock as possible. I plan on staying with the Torsion bars and K frame. Not planning any road course or race activity. Just want a 68 Charger that will start like a new one, run on the junk gas and get decent mileage on the road. I got real sick of having to get on the net and plan my trip according to where I could find Premium gas without ethanol. That is the reason my 6 pack Challenger is in Australia now. Also it will be interesting to know how you get along with the 545 transmission. I have heard rumors that it won't stand up to the 6.1.

Did you add any support for the absence of torsions bars and the extra force of the coil overs ? Most people use inner and outer fender support tubing to help with front torsional stresses on the frame. XV has a kit that includes engine compartment triangulation brace, lower core support and outer fender support. I also used welded in sub frame connectors. My ride is a rag top with a 440 and a 5 speed. I didn't want to take any chances on lack of strength... and body flex. What a difference it makes in handling. Sucker corners like a go kart.

Super nice car !

Dude, I have a steel hard on after seeing that rendering. I couldn't pee to save my life. Wow. Why not go 6-speed? With the 545rfe trans, I assume that you got that unit from a Ram? Personally, I don't like cruiser muscle cars. I want a street beast and to me rowing your own gears is all part of that. But that's just my opinion. As far as the interior, you can get better hold from Recaros than you will if you go SRT. They are fine to cruise with but if you plan on really driving it then Recaro would be your best bet.
Hell Ride too much information!

Shifter etc

20121121_174331_resized.jpg
Looks Great! What are you doing for a shifter? I heard the tunnel needed lots of work to fit the 545 but not so huh? I would like to use my factory console and shifter. I want the interior to be as stock as possible. I plan on staying with the Torsion bars and K frame. Not planning any road course or race activity. Just want a 68 Charger that will start like a new one, run on the junk gas and get decent mileage on the road. I got real sick of having to get on the net and plan my trip according to where I could find Premium gas without ethanol. That is the reason my 6 pack Challenger is in Australia now. Also it will be interesting to know how you get along with the 545 transmission. I have heard rumors that it won't stand up to the 6.1.

I am using the Classic B&M shifter,not too happy with choice, but I needed something quick for a 5 speed auto and had this one in my garage, might change later. the K member and torsion bars will be fine for cruising, I would take a look at Hotchkis TVS , FYI you can have the engine heads rebuilt to run on pump gas, I have done that with all my restomods, a lot easier than replacing with new motor

- - - Updated - - -

I have only subframe connectors, the AlterKtion saw bar will make a difference as well as the reduced weight of the aluminum engine, but I am using this as a cruiser mostly, this is supposed to be a project for me and my dad to do a long cruise before we both get too old.2011-12-07 15.18.35.jpg2011-12-07 15.18.49.jpg2011-12-07 15.20.05.jpg2011-12-07 15.32.41.jpg

You are going to like that Alterktion! That and the 4 link have my GTX handling like a go cart as well. Freeway on ramps at 40 mph with hardly any lean and it hugs the pavement.

Auto Transport Service
Back